Chapter Twenty Five

I couldn't remember when or where, but I'd once heard of a saying, that the foundation of any relationship, whether it be business, friendship, or love- is trust. And if that foundation happened to crumble, even by a smidge- only a miracle could mold it back together.

James stood with his back to me, his hand still curled over the knob, holding it open, as he stared at the hallway, exhaling a deep breath. His broad shoulders, slumped, while his other hand rested limp by his thigh, as I imagined what he was thinking.

Only moments ago he'd told me that he'll make me somehow want him back. As if it was so easy to do. I wasn't sure if I was insulted or flattered, but all I knew, was that he was reaching desperation. It was almost sad to see him like this, and though I knew I would never be with him, I didn't have the heart to crush this imaginary hope he had. Not yet, anyway.

I pressed a hand over my head, suddenly feeling it throb, for a million thoughts ran through the valley of my mind, and I couldn't decide which to say out first. Taking even steps towards him, I locked my gaze on the back of his white polo shirt, which was no longer pristine from hours earlier- but smeared, with patches of dirt.

I stood beside him, staring warily at his profile, at the way the edge of his full, nude lips, slipped downwards- revealing a handsome frown. The light from the hallway, streamed through my room, hitting the center of his chocolate brown eyes, giving it a kind of glow.

"You can't exit this way," I said. "My grandparents, and Aunt Molly and everyone is going to be back in a few minutes, and before they come, I'd like you to leave...through my window. It's the safest exit. No one will see you—"

"You're cruel." He swung the door closed, and I nearly yelped, holding a hand against my heart.

I wasn't expecting that.

James turned his head, staring sadly at me- his eyes red and worn out. He took slow steps towards me, like a lion towards its prey, as I stood there, not quite knowing where to move. There was an undefinable longing in his eyes- a kind of heart ache that I couldn't find myself understanding, as he gazed at me in an almost pleading way.

I shouldn't have stepped back, for it would make me appear cowardly, but at that moment, I was a coward. While he moved towards me, I took quick steps back, till my back hit the cold, dry wall.

My eyes could not meet his.

I turned my head to the side, staring at my brown, woolen carpet- my chest rising and falling like an oceans tide. Sirens were going off in my mind, telling me to push him back, yelling at me to escape out of this...situation.

But I couldn't. My bare meet curled over the soft strings of the carpet, my hands clenched so tightly, I could feel my dig deep into my flesh.

"Look at me," he whispered.

His voice was choked, as though a frog sat at the center of his chest, croaking out his words.

I shook my head- then gasped at his surprise touch.

His index tilted my head gently upwards, pushing my face to side, forcing me to meet his penetrating gaze. The cool touch of his flesh against mine sent a tingling spark down my spine, as I stared wide eyed at him.

"Say something," he snapped. "Say anything damnit! But just don't look at me like that--"

"Like what?" My voice barely escaped, as I stared up at him, my brows furrowed.