Chapter Fifteen

His eyes were unfamiliar, as the bright light from the ceiling bulb failed to catch that friendly glint that often perspired off his mischievous gaze. I glanced at the floor, my heart thumping a quiet tune, before meeting his irises once more. James stood tall- his black t-shirt crinkled over a broad chest, his hands placed within the pockets of his white shorts. The sandy brown of his locks, rested over his forehead, just above curved, angular brows.

"Alright," I told him. "I understand. You don't care about me, and that's perfectly fine. I don't expect you to. But, for the sake of the contract, for the sake of making this whole act look real...you meeting my family is more for your benefit than mine. Do you think I'd actually want to ever introduce them to you? It would only hurt them if they knew what cruel, sick game we're playing."

He exhaled a deep sigh, before taking a step towards me. The scent of a musky fragrance swirled over me, as James dipped his head towards me, his eyes dropping to my lips. I resisted the urge to step back, for it would only make me look like a coward, but as his mouth inched towards my neck, I couldn't help but shiver.

He smirked.

"You're manipulating me, Princess," he whispered, his lips hot by my ear.

"N-n-n-no, I'm not," I stammered. "I'm just telling you your options. If you don't go to this carnival, if you don't meet my family, it's going to leak to the press that you're a jerk that can't make time to meet his wife's family—"

His nose met my neck, his strong arms wrapping like a blanket over my back, as he pressed me close. He inhaled the scent from my flesh, exhaling an appreciative sigh- his arms tightening over my back.

I froze, staring over his shoulder, as my face began to boil.

"Are you...are you smelling me?" I should have been outraged, I should have pushed him away then, stomping on his foot and demanding an apology for the sudden harassment.

But instead, I leaned into his touch, for the lush fragrance of lavender mixed against his musky cologne, momentarily blinding me. My eyes slowly closed, as my lips parted to a slight smile.

"I think I figured something out," he whispered, his lips hovering a millimeter above my neck.

"What did you figure out?" My voice was soft, as I exhaled slowly.

He hesitated. "That you smell...like guacamole."

I blinked.

It took me two seconds to realize what he had done, before pushing out of his embrace. I shot him an ominous glare, as he doubled over, laughing at my reaction.

"Oh, geez!" he exclaimed, snorting. "Everything was so serious, Princess, and I hate serious things. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this man isn't falling for a chick any time soon. Least of all you—"

"You're so immature!" I snapped. "Seriously! You're thirty years old, but you act like a four year old—"

His eyes narrowed. "I'm twenty eight—"

"Well, you're almost thirty—"

"I've got two years left," he snapped. "And call me a child all you like, but there was nothing at all childlike about the way your body reacted to my small, innocent hug."

Oh, he got me there. He got me good.

I tilted my chin, trying to feign ignorance, as I shrugged nonchalantly at him.

"So?" I challenged. "It's normal...I mean...forget it. I'm going to bed. And please, for goodness sake, just order the damn furniture already! Please!"