Chapter Eleven

James rested on the bed, a hard cover book lazily held in one hand, shielding his face, as his long legs crossed at the ankles- wrinkling the pristine white comforter. A plain white t-shirt covered his wide chest, as he rested a free hand on top of his thigh, over navy blue shorts.

Standing by the door, I cleared my throat, watching as he closed the book, dropping it beside his hip. He looked at me- his eyes glimmering in amusement, and for a moment, the image of his towel clad form clouded my mind. My vision burned, as I shook my head, trying to rid my mind of the vulgar picture.

"What the hell are you wearing?" He laughed, sitting up- his brown irises lit with mirth.

I frowned, staring down at my peach pajama set that had red tulips printed on each of the long sleeves. April had gifted it to me last year for my birthday, and though I wasn't fond of the strange patterns at first, as the year went by, I had acquired a liking for it.

"It's comfy," I replied, shrugging. "Besides, what do you know about women's style—"

He grinned. "I know that no woman in the world would choose that extremely unsexy disaster you're wearing—"

"I'm not trying to look good for you, so it doesn't matter to me what you think. Besides, the tern "sexy" is relative. I don't care what you think."

I tilted my chin upwards in the way I do when I think I'm right, narrowing my eyes at him. But as his gaze raked over my pajama clad form- his golden brown eyes, slowly tracing over the lines of my body, I gulped.

He noticed.

His eyes flashed to mine, as I dropped my hands to the side, fiddling them against the cotton fabric of my thighs.

His full lips pressed together in a stiff line, as he straightened against the headboard. A ghost of a smile placed at the edge of his mouth, and I didn't know why, but I had the terrible urge to throw something at him.

I couldn't stand the way he looked at me as though I was a doll, presented to amuse and entertain him.

"Oh, I think you do care." A light musical tone drifted from his lips, as he stood; swinging his long legs off the bed.

"I don't," I said.

James took slow, predatory steps towards me, as though challenging me to step back. There was a hungry look in his eyes, as though he were desperately longing for water, and in me, he'd found his well.

I refused to be his well.

Though my heart pounded so loud I was sure it would rip out my chest, splatter on the ground, and scream, "save me!"- I refused to look away. There was an undefinable desire lurking in his golden brown orbs, sending me a thousand warnings, that if I did not step back, he would lunge.

We were an inch apart, as he raised an eyebrow, impressed by my refusal to step back. My chest rose and fell, and the only sounds that came, were from the poundings of my heart.

Not wanting to be a pawn in his seduction game, I decided that I should try to play along, and possibly confuse him in the process.

I smiled. "You like me."

His brows furrowed in confusion, as his eyes dropped to the ground for a millisecond, then returned to mine. James took a step back- discomfort clouding his handsome face.