Chapter Twenty Seven

Author's Note: An amazing journey has come to an end, but fear not, for I have written a new romance novel called Twisted Desire which is on my page. Make sure to check it out! If you loved The Marriage Contract, I promise you'll love the passionate romance of Twisted Desire even more!

************************

My white sandals had chipped at the edge, as I tripped over a branch in the middle of Sandsville forest, falling to the ground. The run had dried my tears- sticky against my cheeks, as I sat on my knees, staring hopelessly at the patchy ground. The faint moonlight streaked over the tall trees, trailing towards my dejected frame.

There was a quivering in my heart, a kind of melancholy that I had never before felt. This aching was much worse than when I found James in bed with another, for at least then, he was honest. Or I thought he was. He had told me he had no feelings for me, and that itself, was a kind of honesty that I could appreciate.

I choked out a bitter laugh, pressing both hands over my knees- my mind reeling on the voicemail.

He had fooled me so well, and I had fallen for it. I had fallen for him.

Light footsteps made their way towards me- crushing the fallen may flowers on the ground, before stopping before me. I didn't turn, as I glanced at his shadow looming over me, almost cloaking my crouched body like a blanket.

"Leave," I said.

"No."

No?

I stood to my feet, almost tripping- for my legs were suddenly weak, as he gripped my arm, giving me balance.

His touch burned my flesh, as I turned, yanking my arm out of his hold. My eyes began to sting, as I glowered at him- my gaze never leaving his.

The night wind blew through his soft brown tresses, brushing past the eyes I'd once fallen for. James took a small step towards me- the shallow light of the moon hitting the handsome face I imagined had broken a dozen hearts before ultimately, crushing mine.

"You lied to me." My voice wavered, as I took a step back, my lips beginning to quiver. "You hate me so much that you had to fake sleeping with a girl, just so I could leave?—"

"I didn't hate you," he said, running a hand through his messy locks. "I hated me—"

"Oh, I'm sure," I scoffed.

His hands gripped my shoulder, and I gasped at the sudden touch, as he pulled me so close against him, our heart beats thundered as one.

"Let me go," I snapped. "Get off—"

His eyes glowered, as he shook me- a desperate glint hitting the apples of his orbs.

"Listen to me!" he snapped. "Just fucking listen to me, damnit! I never hated you, not even close. All I hated was that I was a piece of trash, not good enough for you—"

"That's a lie." My voice shook, as I squirmed against his rigid hold.

"It's not," he pressed. "Just hear me out! I can't remember when I fell for you, because it just happened! It was these little tidbits about you that I began to love. The way your hair gets in your mouth when you're reading a book, or how you walk around in those ridiculous pajamas, and still manage to look sexy. I love the way you giggle right after you laugh- I could hear that all fucking day and not get tired! Yes, I lied to you! I lied when I said you didn't matter to me. You're my peace, my serenity, and without you, I'm at a constant war with life, the world, and myself. I hired that actress, because I needed to push you as far away from me as possible, because all I'll ever do is hurt you. Don't you get that? I'm a mess, a big, huge, mess. But one thing I realized after you left- is that without you, it felt a little hard to breathe. I don't want nothing else in life, all I want, is you."