Chapter Thirteen

My footsteps echoed along the walls of the vast, empty, living room, as I made my way towards him. I walked towards the window, sitting on the other side- staring, for a moment, on the four feet of space that separated us. Evening light streamed through the tall, curtain less window, casting an orange glow over the deep brown wood.

I stared ahead, my gaze focused on the white door, as my hands clenched and unclenched against my lap. My heart thumped like small droplets of rain over stained glass, as I leaned back against the wall- wanting the night to end.

"We have nothing to discuss," I said.

He laughed. "Are you sure about that? You put me in such a fucking awkward situation, and you say there's nothing to discuss? That's rich, that's real—"

I snapped my head to the side, glaring at him.

"I didn't put you in any situation! If you can't trust me, that's not my problem—"

"People like you don't deserve trust." He said this casually, as though making small talk.

I stood, my chest heaving, as I held back the incredible urge to stomp on his crisp black Armani shoes. There was a sly grin across his full lips, as his brow rose- staring at me as though I were a clown, sent for his amusement.

"What do you mean, people like me?" I snapped.

He shrugged, running a hand through his soft brown locks. His Adams apple rose and fell, as his golden eyes locked on mine, before staring past me, as though deciding I wasn't even worth looking at.

"People who marry for money." The words left his tongue slowly- each syllable cutting through my veins, as the sentence lingered in the air, like a cold silence.

The exhale of my breath was the only sound that passed between us, as he turned his focus on me- his eyes, expressionless.

"You know why I married you," I said, my voice trembling. "It wasn't for money! It wasn't...it wasn't at all for that—"

He stood, placing both hands within the pockets of his black trousers. His head tilted at the side- a cruel smile spread across his lips.

"It was precisely for that," he insisted. "The shelter was just an excuse—"

"That's not true! The shelter was the only reason I would marry an asshole like you!"

He took a step towards me, and I watched his approach, not trusting his next move. His poker face was spot on, but mine, was breaking, and crumbling, for tears threatened to drip past my lids. It took all that I had in me to not cry, because crying would make me an even bigger fool. My insides were trembling like an autumn leaf, but I would not cry. I could not cry.

My mouth went dry, as he took another few steps towards me, so that we were only a foot apart.

"If I'm such an asshole, then why did you kiss me?" There was an amused tremor to his voice.

I willed my gaze not to drop, but the more he stared at me with hard, unfamiliar eyes, the more I wanted to crawl into a corner and hide. But hiding was for cowards, and though I was a fool, I was not a coward.

"Because I wanted to," I said, breathing deeply. "I don't know...I felt something...I can't explain it, but I just went with what I felt, and acted without thinking, and for that, I apologize. Not to you, but to myself. You weren't worth it."