Easy as Pie

Before we start, just note that I've changed some inaccuracies from previous chapters, so it should all fit with the flashbacks now.

~~~~~~

"Alex, you're going to be fine."

"Speak for yourself, you're not even coming!"

Piling her stacks of papers on top of each other, Frankie sighed through the phone, almost dropping her bag.

"Look, I'm sorry that Crawford decided it would be a good idea if he gave me every single assignment he had on hand the same week my mum was coming from out of town for Thanksgiving. Plus, you have Kara."

"Well, can you just try and make it tonight?"

If she was being honest, Frankie knew there were about a million other things she would rather be doing that night, like watching the episode of Kitchen Nightmares her tv had decided to cut out during the night before. But of course, by the grace of pointless social etiquettes, she would have to make an effort to get to Kara's apartment.

She wasn't excited. That much was evident. But every year, she pushed through the pain and sat for one meal and listened to the stories of her old neighbours who have apparently adopted a horse. So instead of complaining, she would suck it out in hopes of maybe getting a slice of chocolate pecan pie. But Alex didn't need to know that.

"I'll try my best."

"Thank you."

~~~~~~

Kara was never late.

Alex knew that something had come up with the DEO, but she had always been able to count on Kara being on time. And now, with the whole flying thing, it should've been a no-excuses promise. But Kara was late, and it was doing nothing to quell Alex's nerves. Add in the fact that Frankie had flaked, and it wasn't looking up to be the calmest moment she'd ever had.

She wasn't exactly looking forward to seeing Eliza again, but it had been almost six months since they'd last met and she had to admit, she was starting to miss her. But the curtains were jumping around in a sudden burst of wind and Alex's thinking time was over.

Kara flew in through the open window, landing softly next to Alex.

"Hey."

"Finally."

Kara glared at her sarcastically. "Nice to see you too. " She looked around. "Where's Frankie?"

"Not coming."

Alex waved off the questions she knew were coming and sighed pointedly.

"Look, this big, havoc-wreaking, lady-beast thing broke free. Happens to the best of us."

Alex followed Kara to her counter, sighing. "I'm sorry, I'm just... I'm freaking out."

"Alex," Kara said, leaning down on the wood bench, staring at her sister. "I have seen you take down a human-sized bug without a weapon. This is going to be fine."

Alex shook her head, ready with an argument. "Last year, she was mad at me for you not dating enough." She said, pointing a finger at Kara. "Okay? I can't even imagine what she's gonna do to me for you coming out as Supergirl."

"She seemed fine on the phone."

Alex put her hand on her hip, staring at Kara.

"At least she's making pie."

Scoffing, Alex laughed pitifully. "Yeah. I'm sure your favourite, too."

"Ok, chocolate pecan pie is the best dessert in the galaxy. And as someone who's been to twelve different planets, I mean that literally."