The Girl of Steel

(Previously 'Flight 237' and 'It's Going Down')

~~~~~~

"I have a new case for you, Danvers. Armed robbery, $100,000 worth of gold stolen-"

Frankie frowned. Looking up from her work, she watched as her boss scowled down at her. Crawford, with his impeccably groomed facial hair and tight-ass suit, was not a very happy man. His pencil moustache quivered into a sneer.

She jumped as he dropped the new stack of papers on her desk.

"Sir, I-"

"The hearing is on Thursday, I'll expect the case on my desk by Wednesday at the very latest."

He turned and began to walk away. Frankie felt her mouth open slightly and she quickly shut it, watching him stroll leisurely away. She stood up and called after him.

"Sir, I can't have it done by Wednesday. I've got so much work to do already and it's my sister's birthday tomorrow. I need more-"

Crawford turned around sharply, cutting her off.

"I'll expect it on my desk by Wednesday, Danvers. That's final." He strolled through the crowds, narrowly missing a police officer on the way out.

Frankie sat back down, huffing under her breath. She turned to the stack of paper Crawford had dumped on her desk and eyed it wearily. It was at least an inch tall. That amount of prep would normally take all week. It was going to be nearly impossible. Add the fact that Kara's birthday was on Tuesday, and she might as well be packing her bags.

She groaned and laid her head on the hard wood. It was going to be a very long couple of days.

~~~~~~

When Frankie arrived at her apartment that night, she threw down her bag and collapsed on the couch. She aimlessly turned on the tv, where it opened to the news. She sat watching for a minute. At the first ad break, she found herself zoning out.

The next night actually promised to be fun. Kara didn't really like to make a huge deal out of her birthdays, but Alex and Frankie were more than happy to make it a good time anyway. They'd likely be alone, just the three of them and there was a pretty much zero chance that they were going to plan a rager.

Alex was at that moment on a plane to Geneva. It was very unlikely that she'd feel like hard-core partying.

Frankie turned back to the tv.

"And in other news, two twin puppies have learned how to skateboard. Here's Jennifer with the full story."

"Who calls this news?" Frankie muttered to herself, flicking the tv off. She stood up and headed to her bedroom to change into something comfier. She reached the cupboard and pulled out a sweater and tracksuit pants. Changing quickly, she dumped her work clothes on the floor because she couldn't really be bothered to clean them up, and worked her way back into the kitchen.

Running a hand through her now unkempt dark brown hair, she grabbed her favourite mug and started making coffee.

As the water boiled, she couldn't help thinking of when her life was somewhat normal. She sounded like every teenage fantasy movie ever. She'd been living an ordinary life, up until something out of the ordinary showed up, flipping everything upside down. But just because it was cliché, it didn't mean it was any less true.

She'd been eleven when an alien appeared out of nowhere, becoming yet another older sister in her life. Alex hadn't been pleased, and it had taken her several years to get over her feelings, but Frankie and Kara had clicked more quickly.

Heart of Steel ~ Winn Schottजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें