The Last Son of Mars (Part I)

Frankie watched Kara and Lord from where she stood with Brad and James. Whatever they were talking about, it was making Kara more and more upset by the minute.

She looked around, not able to stop watching the relief efforts and listening to the people near enough to hear. There were so many stories of tragedies unfolding around them and yet no one was associating with each other.

Frankie was so sure that all a lot of people needed was some positive news and hope, but with Kara, the public beam of sunshine and happiness not around to spread it, she was somewhat fascinated by the way that people had forgotten how to be positive themselves.

Brad moved to stand closer to her, eyeing James out of the corner of his eye.

"Look, there's a couple over there that looks like they could use a hand. You interested in coming?"

Frankie looked back at Kara, who'd chosen that moment to glance over at her worriedly.

"I think I have to talk to Kara about something," she said, turning back to face him.

He nodded and dropped his gaze. Frankie could see James turn away awkwardly behind him.

"I don't know if I'll see you again today, so just in case I don't..."

And suddenly, Brad was leaning forward and he was closing the distance between them. Surprised, Frankie hesitated a little longer than she probably should have and tensed as his lips met hers. Quickly though, she got over her initial shock and relaxed into the kiss, letting him pull her closer.

After she calmed down, she started to feel the whole street around her melt away and suddenly people weren't having the worst day of their lives anymore and it was like she and Brad were the only two people left in the world.

Which was probably the cheesiest thing to ever grace the surface of her mind.

Now, Frankie was having to resist the urge to laugh, so she pulled back, biting her lip to stop it from shaking.

Brad looked at her confused. "Wait, did I-"

"No, it's nothing. Promise." When he still looked slightly worried, she took his hands, making sure that he couldn't miss the gratitude on her face. "I'm just happy, 'sall."

The smile he gave her in return was enough to bring her back to the moment, the sirens that rang out around them loud as ever. He turned and jogged to the other end of the street and Frankie pushed her thumbs through her belt loops, unable to keep the grin off her face.

Looking at James, she could see him resolutely keeping his eyes away from her, instead watching Kara. After a moment, she watched his face morph from awkward passive-ness to worry. Concerned, Frankie followed his gaze and turned to see Kara and Lord running with a woman to where a car was smashed into a light post. On the ground next to it was an elderly man.

Without speaking, James and Frankie both took off running and skidded to a halt next to where Lord and Kara had bent over the man. James dropped down next to Kara, but Frankie stayed standing, moving to be next to the woman, knowing she was no use with the medical stuff.

"He has a tension pneumothorax," Lord said, checking for a pulse.

"You're a doctor?"

"I did med-school in a year." Frankie would have scoffed if the circumstances weren't so dire. "He needs to get to the hospital."

"I called nine-one-one but they haven't arrived yet."

"The paramedics are swamped," James said, watching Kara out of the corner of his eye.