29. Goodbye Kiss

작별 키스

작별 키스

Jimin stayed quiet for the rest of the night.

Which wouldn't be something to worry about if he wasn't all bubbly and happy a few moments ago in the store. There was something off about him and June couldn't figure it out. As if on switch, his expression would change, his jaw would tighten and he would look different, less happy, and somehow, less alive.

An unusual sighting for the concerned June who kept switching the bag of apples from right to her left hand, as the weight of it was getting heavier with each step she took.

''You okay there? Seems like you're struggling.''

''Oh please, these apples got nothing on me.'' The girl replied proudly, picking up her pace so that it doesn't look she was actually struggling more than she would like to, which, of course, resulted in Jimin grinning mockingly and her wishing that she didn't avoid PE classes back in the high school days.

''Are you alright though? You're very quiet tonight.''

The first ones to reply were the crickets.

And the boy only shook his head, staying silent. Perhaps he didn't hear it?

''It looks like there's something on your mind so I was wondering-''

''Oh,'' was his abrupt answer, followed by a thick swallow. ''I don't know. I guess I'm just tired.''

Not satisfied with the answer she received, June tilted her head worriedly. Though Jimin's voice was quick to react, giving her the words of assurance and safety. ''Don't worry June-ah.''

But that was a lie.

And June knew when Jimin was lying, because he would always scratch the back of his head or scrunch his nose in a weird way, even change the subject if he felt like it. So June never pushed him into doing something he didn't want to, thinking that he'll eventually open up, let the words slide off his tongue.

She didn't even ask him about Hoseok, didn't ask him about what happened the day after they got caught. But in all honesty, she didn't want to know how Hoseok felt or what unpleasant, hostile thoughts he may be having about the situation - she didn't care.

Not about Hoseok however.

Because kissing Jimin for a mere of a second felt like the best decision she could've ever made. The only thing she didn't know is if he felt the same.

So when their walk finally came to a stop, their eyes met with an old building dressed in deep red bricks, the dimmed street lamps casted just the right amount of light on Jimin as he dug his hand into his pocket and took out the apartment keys before the distance between them had a chance to grow. ''I'll see you tomorrow.''

And she waited for him to kiss her goodbye.

But he never did.

. . .

a/n: hi there! i've missed you. have you been doing okay, treating yourself and resting? i hope so.

updates will be scheduled on weekends and i might even squeeze a few more during the week if my work allows me to! thank you for reading.

sending you hugs & kisses. love you!