Chapter 14: Ya Done Fucked Up

~Revised 29/01/2024~

All Might's voice boomed through the ears of his eager students as he explained the hero training they were about to partake in. He explained that they would be doing indoor battle trails- and that it would be carried out in teams of two. The teams would be chosen via lottery by All Might himself.

By some stroke of luck, [Y/n] had managed to be on a team with Izuku. The two rejoiced by eagerly smiling at each other and high-fiving. It was then announced they would be battling against Katsuki and Iida. The corners of [Y/n]'s smile softened to that of a nervous grin as butterflies erupted in her stomach. 

Katsuki currently stood at the top of the class with his entrance exam scores. And it wasn't a surprise to anyone that his preferred fighting style was extreme violence. He would be a hard opponent to fight. [Y/n] knew her quirk was pretty well-suited for fighting. However, she had never battled against the blond. And Katsuki's partner, Iida, seemed to be at an advantage physically. The (h/c) haired girl suddenly felt increasingly dispirited. 

But, it was nothing compared to what her green-haired friend was feeling. It seemed that all the colour from Izuku's face had vanished, leaving him resembling a ghost. His body, barely holding himself up on his shaky legs.

"This scenario has the villains inside the building first!" All Might explained. "Then, after five minutes, the heroes will be let in. Team D, please make your way inside the building! Protect that bomb!"

Izuku trembled as the ash blond stormed his way over to the two teens. [Y/n] slightly braced herself for whatever brash altercation was about to ensue, but to her surprise, Katsuki didn't even bat an eyelash at them. He walked cooly off to a large, eight-story building that stood a few blocks down the mock city street. His partner, Iida, followed behind him. Iida nodded respectfully at Izuku and [Y/n] before breaking into a brisk pace to catch up with Katsuki.

[Y/n] let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She peered over at Izuku, who still looked as if he would be blown away by the slightest of breezes. To Izuku's surprise, [Y/n] grabbed onto his hand and gave it a small squeeze of reassurance.

"It'll be okay," She smiled. "I know...well, I know this may seem like it'll be more than just a training trial for you two. I know your history is dense, and I don't want to get into it or anything, but let's just try our best! You're not alone on this one, Izuku." She squeezed his hand gently again. His green eyes stared down into her (e/c) eyes. "It's gonna be tough, but we'll try our best!"

"Y-yeah, you're right," Izuku gripped her fingers back, his trembled against her soft skin. "He's just ...so strong...and I can barely control my quirk..." His voice was faint and tampered off at the end. 

His eyes trailed down and he stared at his hand, gripping [Y/n]'s.

"So?" Izuku looked back up at [Y/n]. "Just because he's strong doesn't mean we're weak." She said, her eyebrows narrowing.

Izuku's previously terrified expression slowly melted away, revealing a determined look that he had had back when he jumped head first at the sludge villain. 

"Kacchan... I hate him... and yet I also admire him. He has so much ambition, confidence, strength, and his Quirk is so powerful. I can think of a hundred ways in which he is better than I am and a hundred more scenarios in which I lose this fight. But even so, this time, I want to win."

[Y/n] smiled, letting go of his hand and placing it on her hip. She nodded, her features mimicking his in a determined expression. She wanted to win too. 

"Okay, let's strategize."

~

Izuku reached out his hand and helped [Y/n] hop down from the window's ledge and into the building. Her boots gently clapped against the floor. The duo stood next to each other, looking around at their setting. The maps that All Might had given them of the building were nothing short of a maze, which is what, to no surprise, the inside resembled. The ceiling was high but the hallways were narrow. Little light from the sun transferred through the windows, making the inside feel cold and dark.