Chapter 9: Special Consideration

- One week earlier -

Location: U.A. High. Board Meeting Room One.

The U.A. staff and faculty, mainly comprised of pro-hero teachers, sat along a large 'U'-shaped table. In front of each of them sat a stack of papers with detailed profiles of all incoming first-year U.A. students. The principal, Nezu, sat at the head of the table holding a remote control for a projector displaying each student's profile individually.

Mina Ashido's profile was displayed. They had all been in the board room, reviewing students for the previous two hours and were nearing the end. Discarded snack wrappers and empty cups of tea littered the table. 

"Alright, I believe that concludes our review of Mina Ashido," Nezu states. "Any final considerations or concerns to note that we should keep an eye on during her time at U.A.?"

The room was silent as all teachers nodded their heads 'no'.

"Great. One more to go then."

Nezu clicked a button on the controller and the projector slide changed. Mina's profile disappeared and for a second the room was filled with darkness before the last student's profile was displayed: [Y/n] [L/n].

The room tensed as her picture and formal description were displayed. Half of the information in the description was provided by the student during the demographic survey portion of the entrance exam and the other half was derived from medical and government records. A few teachers cleared their throats and sat up straighter in anticipation for the discussion to begin.

Nezu begins "[L/n] [Y/n]".

All eyes were focused on the section describing her quirk: 'Biokinesis'. Hesitancy was as thick as fog in the air. No one wanted to go first. No one knew where to start.

Shota Aziawa began by reading the description of her quirk. 

"Her quirk grants her the ability to control the health of human beings, including herself. Incident, government and hospital records report that the exact level of control is unknown, but it is hypothesized she can control down to a genetic level according to an incident seven years ago when she regenerated an amputated finger."

The room remained silent as everyone listened. 

"This power allows her to not only recover from injuries or illnesses at incredible speeds but also enhance the physical abilities of herself and those she touches to levels of maximal efficiency. Before quirks, the super strength she possesses alone would be comparable to hysterical strength; when people would display extreme physical strength such as lifting cars or bombshells, often only during life-or-death situations."

"So she could recover almost instantly from villain attacks, help injured civilians recover while being rescued, and provide a super boost of power to fellow pro heroes." Midnight states. 

Shota nods and continues. 

"It is unknown if this quirk affects mutant quirks for individuals who do not have a traditional human physiology. It is also unknown if this quirk can impact other quirks."

"What is the source of this quirk in her body? Hypothetically when she heals other people, does it take health away from herself?" Snipe asks. 

"Good question. Yes and no. According to her medical records, she uses the biomolecular energy from macronutrients to activate her quirk, similar to the way our body breaks down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats for energy. Carbohydrates are the fastest of the three to be broken down and used, almost immediately. Fats and proteins can be stored in the body and used later once the energy from the carbohydrates is gone. Therefore, her ability to use her quirk relies completely on the quantity and quality of her diet."