Chapter 38

"That's really not good. What did you ask him?" I asked worriedly.

If Severus had been showing his emotions so opening that Ron could tell what he was feeling that couldn't be good.

"I just asked about your mom and stuff," he said.

I put my head in my hands and said, "Oh crap. I'll see you guys later, I really have to go talk to him."

Luckily no one could hear our conversation because our group held the attention of every person in the room after Ron had burst through the door.

I dashed out of the room and down the stairs. I knew I had to get to his office before he did something stupid out of anger. I realized that in a way this was all my fault. Ron didn't know that my mother was a psychopath that we hated; it was just an innocent question.

As I flew down the last staircase I ran into someone. As I picked myself off the ground I realized it was Professor Quirell.

"Oh I'm sorry sir, I wasn't watching where I was going," I said with my toned laced with hatred.

He didn't seem to notice as he stuttered, "Qui-quite all-allright Jessica I-I hope you are o-okay?"

I nodded and he strode back down the hall. I reached the door to my father's office and knocked on the door.

When I got no response I eased the door open and was a little surprised to see the room empty.I shrugged as I headed to his private quarters. With a quick loud knock on the door I took a step back.

There came a shout from behind the door that could be deciphered to say come in or don't come in depending on how you wanted to look at it.

I opened the door cautiously and strode into the room with my eyes scanning the room until I saw my father sitting on the couch with his head in his hands rubbing his temples. Quietly and quickly I made my way over to him and sat on the couch next to him being careful to lock the door and put up the necessary precautions.

I sat there for a few minutes expecting him to explain something or at least look up. I got more and more impatient as time wore on until finally I touched his shoulder gently.

"What's the matter?" I asked quietly.

At this he finally looked up and you could see pain in his eyes even though they were dry.

"Mr. Weasley decided to come down and ask me a few questions. You can only imagine how that went over."

I laughed slightly to lighten the atmosphere and said, "Yeah Ron said he came down to ask if you were really my father and a few other questions then ran out when you got mad. What caused you to get so mad? You're not the most likely person to get mad enough to show their real emotions."

He sighed and said, "I know I'm not that why this scares me more than anything. I'm afraid that I'm beginning to lose my touch. If a first year could get through my defenses with one simple question who knows what could happen in the future in far more dangerous situations."

Although he didn't say it I knew he was talking about the time when he would have to be a spy for Voldemort. He had successfully done it before but this time he would be trying to protect me and Harry. While I thought about this I realized that he was right; if Ron got through to the other side of him then I was sure Voldemort could too. If Voldemort found out anything I shuddered at the thought of what he might do.

"You've always been amazing at concealing your emotions. What did he ask that made you snap? We could work on that area to make you stronger against fighting it."

He shook his head, "He just asked who your mother was and if you lived with both of us and if you were so good at potions because of me."

I winced and said, "Ouch. I see why you got mad, but I know he didn't mean to do it on purpose I'm sure he was just curious."