Chapter 11

The door opened and we all shuffled into a large room full of the older students. There were four huge tables with a lot of students at each. There was a staff table in the front of the room where I saw Severus sitting next to a man wearing a turban. The room had candles suspended in mid air which Hermione said were enchanted to be like that. The night sky on the ceiling looked just like the one outside the walls of Hogwarts.

Professor McGonagall placed a ratty old hat on a stool in the middle of the room and I wasn't surprised when it started to sing. I had read all about the sorting hat and the song it sang. I mouthed along the words as the hat sang its song.

When it was done Professor McGonagall took out a large piece of paper and read off names one by one to be sorted. I didn't pay much attention to most of the kids. Instead choosing to look around to take in the Great Hall better.

When she said, "Granger Hermione," I looked up to see her get sorted into Gryffindor.

Ron suppressed a groan saying, "Great now if I'm in Gryffindor I'm stuck with her."

I slapped him lightly saying, "Come off it. I'm sure she's fine, maybe she just is anxious."

I looked up again to see Draco get sorted into Slytherin. The hat had barely touched his head when the hat yelled Slytherin. Draco went over to the Slytherin table to people clapping him on the back and welcoming him.

I lost interest again until she said, "Potter, Harry."

Harry didn't move at first so I gave him a small shove up to the front. There were murmurs going around the whole hall. Some who knew who he was were trying to get a good look at him and asking questions like I wonder if he really has the scar? The ones who didn't know who he was were trying to find out who he was from their friends.

The hat took a long time deciding Harry's fate before it yelled out, "Gryffindor!"

The Gryffindor table erupted in cheers and two red-headed twins were chanting, "We got Potter, we got Potter!"

Harry looked a bit dazed by all the attention he was getting and everyone wanted to shake his hand or congratulate him.

I zoned out for a little until I heard, "Wallwirt, Jessica."

I tensed up before walking up to the stand and placing the hat on my head.

I jumped slightly when I heard the cold whisper in my head saying, "Very hard indeed. A daughter of Severus Snape. I put him in Slytherin all those years ago but now I wish I had put him in Gryffindor. Hmm you would do great in Slytherin and that would make sense. You could please your father that way too."

"Please not Slytherin," I begged silently not caring if I let down Severus. I just couldn't stand to be around the Malfoy boy any more.

"Oh not Slytherin. Don't want to make Daddy proud? Well if not how about GRYFFINDOR!"

It said the last word loud enough for the hall to hear. I made my way over to the Gryffindor table smiling. I took a seat next to Harry and across from Hermione. Against my better judgment I looked up at the staff table at Severus. He looked the same as always. I knew he was good at keeping his emotions in check so that didn't mean anything. He was busy talking to the man wearing a turban but he caught my eye and nodded slightly at me.

Harry said, "Ow."

I turned to him and whispered, "What's the matter?"

"Nothing let's watch Ron get sorted first then I will tell both of you."

Ron was already up on the stool. The hat didn't have to think long before it boomed Gryffindor. Ron made his way over to the Gryffindor table and it was obvious he was happy that he followed in his family's footsteps. He hugged both of the twins who I guessed were his brothers. He took a seat next to me and smiled at Harry and me.