"Quite fascinating, isn't it? An art dealer sold it to me in Kenya." I turned to look at him.

"Yes quite. I've never seen anything like it." I said. He gestured toward it.

"Go ahead; pick it up if you want." He said, smiling.

        I did as he suggested. It was a hefty thing that would be a problem for most humans but I wasn't one. I looked it over as it fit in my hands. It seemed to exude power. I looked at Dan and saw a strange look on his face, almost that of disappointment. Julia who was standing next to Dan just shrugged, smiled at us and then disappeared into the back room with 3 more people. I gave the staff back to Dan and then walked over to where the rest of the family was before it dawned on me that the original bunch of people that Julia had taken with her into that room had not returned to the party. Was there another exit we didn't know about? I decided to wait and see if those other 3 people were going to come back this way or not. When after 30 minutes Julia appeared alone again, I became suspicious.  The fact that neither Julia nor Dan were vampires was obvious. But could they possibly be something else? As my brain finished processing that last thought; Alice said:

"Oh ew, brains."

"Alice, what do you mean?" Jasper asked.

        She nodded toward the room where Julia had recently exited. We couldn't bring attention to ourselves by all rushing toward that room so Rogue nodded that she and Alexander would distract Julia and Dan while Edward, Emmett, and I would check out the room. We dashed in there faster than the human eye could pick up on. Once we got closer, the hallway went from light to nearly pitch black. We could still see where we were going and cautiously walked forward until we were in a room a little to the right that was the total opposite of anything we'd seen thus far.

        For starters it had a fireplace, the whole room had dark burgundy rich wood paneling and it had light sconces hanging from the ceiling as well as candles around the room. The furniture was very Victorian and matched the paneling. For a second we all thought we'd stepped back into time. Outside where the people were it was the 21st century but here it was like 1876. As our eyes adjusted to the surroundings, a particular odor filled our nostrils. We've been around for long enough to know what a fresh human corpse smelled like.  As we all looked down we saw bodies; maybe 15 of them all neatly stacked in piles in the corner of the room. They were ready to be disposed of.

        As I approached them, I nearly slipped in the blood. I realized the room was covered in it and that was the reason for the dark décor; to hide the devastation in the room. But it was the bodies themselves that were what drew me even closer. There weren't any puncture marks on their bodies except their heads. That's when Alice's last phrase popped into my mind; "oh ew, brains." Their brains....they were missing! Something had taken their brains out. Buy why? And how? I couldn't stand for much longer to examine without getting caught. I knew it was time to leave. And not just the room but the party.

        We strode back into the room unnoticed and rejoined the rest of our family where Nessie looked like she was going to throw up. Perhaps something in the food wasn't up to her liking. We said goodnight to our hosts and made a haste exit saying Nessie wasn't feeling well. We didn't say a word until we got back home. When we entered our house, Nessie ran to the bathroom and threw up and I heard her washing her hands repeatedly. I was worried she'd gotten a stomach bug. As we got settled, she scurried out of the bathroom and came to a halt in the middle of the living room shuddering and shaking with disgust.

"Oh ew ew ew ew!!!! Gross gross gross!!! OMG!!!" She shuddered again.

"Nessie, are you alright?" I asked looking at her with wide eyes; I wasn't the only one. She hesitated and looked at Jacob. He nodded.