A Different Perspective

Comincia dall'inizio

Is it crazy to say that I feel out of place? Everyone is just so relaxed while I cling to the wall for comfort. I wasn't nervous when we arrived but after that encounter at the door, I'm not even sure anymore. I'm not sure if they are going to like me. I talked myself into coming to this event and now all I want to do is go home.

Suddenly Rashad extended his hand out to me. I was relieved from my thoughts as I grabbed his hand with a smile. "I want y'all to meet April."

I waved but none of them returned the gesture. Instead they just stared at me blankly as if I was an intruder in their home. I quickly felt embarrassed and uncomfortable again. I should've known no one was going to like me. How could I be so stupid to think that I'd actually make a good impression.

"Yooo aren't you that girl from Pure?" One of them asked.

"The crazy bitch." Another added.

Bitch? Is he serious? He has the audacity to disrespect me like that?

"I beg your pardon?" I was literally lost for words.

What the fuck is the matter with Rashad's friends? They are highly disrespectful. Here I am trying to get these fuckers to like me when it's really me who needs to see if I like them. A bitch? How dare he call me out of my name.

I looked towards Rashad for support against his friends. If I wasn't ready to leave before then I am definitely ready to leave now. However all I could see was how tightly clenched is jawline became as he glared at them.

Suddenly he cleared his throat saying, "Now Michael I know we are blood and all but I'd be wrong if I snatched your ass up and slapped the fuck out of you."

Oh shit..

"And Jerry I know your ass didn't just call her a bitch. Nigga have you lost your mutha fucking mind?"

"Rashad I was just jo-"

"I didn't find that remark funny." Rashad said as anger lingered in his voice. "Don't play with me. You owe April an apology."

Jerry quickly turned to me with apologetic eyes. "I'm sorry April I didn't mean to disrespect you. I clearly wasn't using my manners."

"Michael." Rashad said.

"Yeah my bad April. I wasn't trying to disrespect you ma. Don't mind us. We are just always talking shit. We mean no harm."

No harm? On what planet is it okay for them to talk to women like that? I wouldn't be surprised if they all were all lonely fucks. Yet I decided to let this incident slide. I let the one slide at the door so I guess I can just add this one to the list. Although they definitely disrespected me I did not want this night to turn sour. It was evident that they pissed Rashad off and I did not want him being mad at his friends. I didn't come here for their to be a fight. I came to have a good time so I guess I could let this misunderstanding go.

"It's okay. Just please do not speak to me like that again. I am not a bitch."

"You right ma. I can't even fault you on that."

"If I ever hear anyone of you talk to her like that again I will fuck you up."

"Okay." I sighed grabbing Rashad's arm as I rubbed his back softly. I could see that he hadn't calmed down yet. "What's your name?" I asked one guy.

"Steve." He replied.

I then went around asking the others for their names. Shortly after a conversation started and the atmosphere began to change. The mood was much calmer now and suitable. Rashad had calmed down and started talking to his friends. He made good on his threat and dared anyone to try him but I am sure no one ever would. I wish my first impression of everyone went a little differently but it is what it is. I was just happy that Rashad defended me. Although it came with him threatening his friends, I found comfort in knowing that he would defend me against anyone.