A Different Perspective

"Are you okay?" Rashad asked as he carefully helped me out of the car.

"Yeah I am okay." I smiled. "Is there anything I should be worried about?"

Rashad shrugged. "No. I just want to make sure that you're okay." He smiled. "You look good by the way."

"I know Rashad. You haven't stopped telling me."

"And you're going to keep hearing it." He chuckled as we waited patiently for someone to answer the door.

I couldn't help but notice how loud the music was and what sounded like yelling coming from the other side.

"Are they always this loud?" I asked. Aren't they concerned with someone calling the cops on them?

"Always." He nodded. Just then the door opened. A huge smile crept onto Rashad's face as he embraced the young man at the door. "Rich man its been a long time."

"Indeed it has. Nigga where the hell you been at?"

"Ahh you know here and there but I am never to hard to find."

"Shit I can't tell. You look good nigga."

Rashad smiled taking my hand into his. "Let me introduce my empress for tonight. This is April."

I waved. "Hi."

"You can't be coming in here saying hi shawty. You hear that?" Rich asked. I suppose he was referring to the noise in the background. "Them nigga's are loud so you're going to have to come out of that little shell of yours."

"Aye man ease up on my woman. She'll warm up to you little bastards."

A laugh slipped from my lips as I tried my best to hide it. That was a tad bit funny. However, my laughter did not go unnoticed.

"Oh you think that's funny, huh?" Rich asked which caused me to stop.

"I'm sorry." I honestly didn't want any trouble.

"Nigga I will put your head through a wall if you keep talking to her like that." Rashad suddenly said as his grip on my hand became tighter.

"You know I am just messing with her man." Rich said as he stepped aside. "Any friend of Rashad's is a friend of mine."

"You best do well to remember that." Rashad said as he lead me through the doorway.

"I hear you!" Rich stepped outside. "I'll catch up with y'all later. I'm about to go make a run."

"Alright I'll holla at you." Rashad said before closing the door behind us.

"You and your friends definitely have a indescribable love language."

"Awh that wasn't nothing. Rich knows not to try me."

I chuckled. "What makes you say that?"

"Because I'll bury him."

Without hesitation I believed that Rashad meant every word. I mean who wouldn't find Rashad intimidating? His presence is definitely a bit hard to waiver. I wouldn't dare cross Rashad either.

Suddenly we turned the corner which led us to the living room. There were men seated along the couch as smoke lingered in the air. There were liquor bottles everywhere, weed remnants on the table, money all over the floor, and the music was awfully loud. What the hell were they doing in here?

However, it didn't take long for them to notice Rashad. They all greeted him as he went around the room speaking to everyone but no one spoke to me. I awkwardly stood off to the side watching as Rashad socialized with his friends. It was a bit uncomfortable but I was trying not to go into my head. I wanted to be present and have them like me, but I could tell that they were a different crowd of people from what I am use to. Not to mention I know I am the youngest one here.