Chapter X

She woke, and yet, she could not move. She struggled to lift her head, for a firm leather strap was stretched along her neck. From what she could see, her wrists, ankles, and stomach were strapped down to this strange, hard, cot. She looked around in desperation. Darkness. As far as the eye could see. The only light source was a bright, circular lamp above her body. "What is this...?" she whispered.

"It's your new home, my love." Ardyn's face appeared just above hers. He brushed her stray hairs along her head, and gripped her hair in his hand tightly. A deep, painful chill ran up and down her spine, as if she was being electrocuted. "Why do you fear me, Euphemia?" He purred.

"Let go of me..." She gritted her teeth. "Now!"

Ardyn released her hair. "I see... It'll be quite difficult to break you, won't it, Princess?" He smirked.

"Like hell. You can't break me..." She fought back her tears. "I'm Queen of the Six, asshole."

Ardyn laughed. "Dear girl... There's no need to play this game. I can smell your fear." He lifted his dagger into view. He pointed it downward toward her stomach. "Have you ever wondered what the inside of your body looks like...?"

Euphemia struggled beneath her straps. "Don't." She shook her head.

"All this power... It must be different in there, don't you think?" He smirked. "I'm dying to see what exactly, the Angel is made of."

"Please!" She gritted her teeth and arched her back in desperation.

Ardyn sliced her delicate skin open with the tip of his dagger. He cut deep, and in a straight line, along the very same scar she'd endured after her assassination attempt. She shrieked in anguish.

She couldn't stop. The more she struggled, the deeper he cut. The more she cried, the more entertained the man became.

She couldn't take it.

This was too much.

Euphemia jumped in her sleep, the force of which causing Prompto to awaken as well. She looked up, finding her head tucked under his chin, and her wings wrapped firmly around the two to keep them warm. She immediately untangled herself from him and sat up. Her breathing was irregular, and she found she could not calm herself. "What's the matter?" Prompto lifted his head and scooted himself beside her. "You're white, Mia."

Euphemia lifted her hands to her cheeks to find she was shockingly cold, despite her normally feverish state. "Noct is coming," she whispered.

"How do you know?" Prompto tilted his head. He looked at their surroundings. The two had been sleeping underneath a weeping willow tree, which kept them safe and hidden after their recent attack by Ravus and his army.

"I can feel him. Jinora, too." She nodded. "She's with him. They're close." She muttered.

"Are you alright?" Prompto placed a hand on Euphemia's shoulder. She immediately flinched and recoiled. "Whoa. What happened?"

Euphemia sighed shakily. "I don't know. I keep having these nightmares about that guy. Ardyn..." Her eyes filled with tears. "I don't want to think about it, but..." she strained. "I think he's haunting me. It all feels so real. I wake up cold and in pain."

"We've gotta stop him. Whatever he's doing... It nearly killed you yesterday. We thought..." Prompto began.

"I know. I could hear you all panicking and calling for me. It was the only thing I could lock onto to get out." She brought her knees into her chest. "I can't shake this pit in my stomach."