Chapter 26 | Malaikah

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

She had tried to commit suicide. I was standing at the reception with tears in my eyes. I knew this was my fault. I was such a selfish person. I hadn't thought about the consequences for anyone. Not for my brother. Not for Fatimah. Not for anyone. Fatimah's family had loved my brother, had treated him like their own son. And I hadn't thought about the impacts it would have them. Fatimah's parents had turned on their own daughter and had blamed her. Fatimah's parents had adored Zayn but I had never in a billion years thought that they would blame Fatimah. 

I was pacing up and down reception trying to figure out why I had done what I had done when I noticed someone very familiar. As the figure came closer, I recognised who it was exactly and I had a pretty good idea as to why he was here. I don't know what urge suddenly overcame me to rush towards him but all of a sudden I was in front of him, words coming out of my mouth that I wasn't really comprehending myself. 

"How do you have the audacity to come here when you have ruined my family?"

He looked confused as he looked at me. 

"I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?" 

I felt another pang of anger as he looked at me all innocently. This person ripped apart my brother's happiness. 'No it was you' chimed the little voice in my head reminding me of the part that I had played in this. I tried to regain my posture and replied in as much as calm a voice as I could muster. 

"Why are you at the hospital?"

He raised his eyebrows.

"And why does that concern you?"

I smirked and smiled. 

"She's in Room 25, Bed 4. If you're looking for Fatimah that is. But of course, that does not concern me." I put my hands in the air and stepped back. His eyes narrowed as he spoke his next words. 

"How do you know Fatimah?"

I was confused now. Did he sincerely not know who Fatimah was to us? Or was he just lying through his teeth to save his skin? But what benefit would that be in any way to him? I shrugged away my thoughts and answered his question with a smile.

"She's my sister-in-law." 

He looked at me and I could see the etch of betrayal in his eyes and I immediately regretted opening my big mouth. Again. He didn't know. No words came out of his mouth and I had no way in telling what he was thinking. But the hurt on his face was evident and once more, I was to blame. He muttered something under his breath although I was unsure what. 

"I'm sorry...I didn't know that you didn't know that she was married." 

The words didn't come out coherently. Instead I stumbled over each word as I spoke. I knew he had heard what I had said as he shook his head. Almost as if to say he couldn't believe it. His next words came out quietly.

"Same as me kid. Fooled us both." 

I felt the regret in me. Why did I always say and do stupid things? Like it really was a habit of me to just mess with other people's lives wasn't it? My life wasn't messed up enough but on top of this I decided that it would be best to mess with others as well. Why was I so ignorant? And why did I never think before I speak?

"But you're married. It doesn't really matter. It's still wrong. You were still cheating on your wife. It hurts to find out that you're being cheated on doesn't it? Imagine how your wife will feel when she finds out." 

I don't know in what mind I thought that what I was saying would help in any way but I never seemed to realise my mistakes. As soon as I had finished speaking, his demeanour had changed. I had angered him. That much was obvious. He leaned down close to me and spoke, before turning and walking back out.

"Stay out of things that don't concern you. Don't even think about breathing a word of any of this to my wife or I will make you regret it."