Chapter 11: Funeral

We were all gathered by the grave side in the pouring rain to bid our final goodbyes.

At this point nobody could contain themself. Every corner you turned you could find someone crying.

My mom and dad were under an umbrella crying their eyes out. To be honest this was the first time I've ever seen them cry. Then there were aunts, uncles, cousins, friends everyone you could think of came to show their support even members of the army.

After Javon died the army offered to bury him and we accepted. Then there was me, while everyone was paired up I had no one at the moment to comfort me. I know my mom and dad would welcome me with open arms but I can't bare to see them cry.

As I scanned the crowd of people I spotted my friends on the other side of the casket.

I walked over to them. I could tell that the others have been crying but Chloe wasn't. Her eyes were red and watery and she was chewing on the insides of her lip.

Knowing Chloe for so long I knew that she only does that when she's trying not to say something or when she's holding back tears. I guess she was only trying to be strong.

When I was finally close enough Monique, Ashlee and Alexa pulled me into a tight group hug filled with tears. That's when I really started to cry, scratch that I was bawling my eyes out. It finally hit me my brother was never coming back.

There was a brief silence the only sound being the rain and sniffles of people crying until someone cleared their throat.

Everyone paused what they were doing to look at what was taking place. A fellow army man was about to say a few words.

" Hi everyone I'm Captain Patrick St James. What a sad day Indeed it is. As we family, friends, loved ones and fellow army men of our dear Javon Valentine are gathered here today to celebrate his life. I would like to share a few words on behalf of the team." By this everyone was now paying their undivided attention to him as he continued.

"Javon was not only a team mate to us but also a friend who loved to make others laugh. He was a very trustworthy and honest person and we all respected him for that.

The day when the tragedy happened we were on a search and rescue mission when our troupe was attacked by rebels in an enclosed building. His team mate got shot in both legs while on their way out to safety. Javon was always dedicated to his job and you could see that he truly enjoyed what he did and as brave as he was he went back there to try and save him. The rebels then threw a grenade into the building. He was just meters away from the door when he threw his team mate to safety but it was too late for him." He paused for a minute before he continued.

"Javon truly embodies what a real hero is. He's gone but I'm sure he is not forgotten as his memory lives on in all of us." He finished off.

Chloe and I laid the last wreaths on the coffin then it was lowered followed by the firing of volley shots as a salute in memory of Javon their fallen comrade.

After we left the cemetery we went to my parents house for the memorial repast, Where our family members and friends stopped for refreshments. They were wishing their condolences. I even saw family members that I've never seen since Javon and I were little kids running around in diapers. It's only a shame that It took the death of someone in the family to bring us all together again.

I went in the kitchen to get a soda when I saw Chloe sitting at the island with her eyes glued to her phone. I walked up behind her then sat in the bar stool beside her.

" Hey Chloe what you doing?" I asked but there was no reply. I followed her gaze to see that she was staring at her screensaver of her and Javon at the park kissing from the last time he was here a little over a month ago.