Chapter 10: A Great Loss Yet Possible Gain Prt 2

I smiled trying to mask the pain I was feeling inside. I wiped a tear that escaped from my eye. I guess he sensed that I was about to cry from the tone of my voice and all my sniffling. With a swift motion Daniel took me into his arms and hugged me for what seemed like forever. My salty tears leaving wet marks on the thin cotton of his shirt.

I felt so comfortable wrapped in his arms. For the first time since Javon died I actually felt safe, secured and like everything was actually going to be all right.

" I'm sorry." I said as I tried holding back the tears that now seemed to flow like a river from my eyes.

" That's ok, but I think you should probably see what's in there I mean it could be the keys to the city." Daniel said attempting to lighten the mood. I chuckled drying my tears with the back of my hands.

"Yeah I guess I should." I slowly tore the brown paper package open and shook the contents off the package unto the coffee table.

He sent for me his dog chain, chloe his favourite watch and mom a small envelope. I don't want to be nosey and open it so I placed it to the side along with the watch for Chloe. Then lastly a there was a letter which was addressed to me it read:

Dear Tia,

How are you, I'm doing ok. It was nice hearing everybody's voice the other day. I wanted to call earlier but it has been pretty rough these past few days. I lost my friend within meters of me, before my very eyes I mean I've seen people die before but this was different. He even had a baby on the way with his fiance. I really felt for him. Everything else is ok though but enough about me. I just wanted to say I really miss y'all and can't wait to get back so I can eat some of ma's good ole cooking, catch up with my favorite girls (you, mom and Chloe. Don't need y'all getting any ideas.) and meet this "friend " of yours I hear so much about.

I've been thinking lately and I think I wanna take the next step in Chloe and I's relationship after all we've been together since the eighth grade and she has been holding me down ever since. And really do love her.

I know you guys want me home but it's my job and it's really important to me and the people of Iraq but most importantly we fight for the people that cant fight for themselves. I talked to mom recently and she told me that you started classes and you're thinking of applying for an internship at Johnson & James Law firm. I think you should really go for it. I know how passionate you are about becoming a Lawyer.

I don't want to make this letter longer than it is or boring because I know you probably won't read half of it *I chuckled because it really was the truth* so I just want to say that I love you guys with all my heart and that give me the courage to live another day and fight another fight. After my friend died I kinda wondered what will you guys remember me by so I left everybody a little token, something to remember me by if I were to never make it home. I'll try to call as soon as possible.

Love, Javon

Shortly after I read the letter Daniel got a call so he had to leave. Before he left he told me that he would check up on me later tonight which I thought was really nice of him. I went to my bedroom and took a nice, long, steamy shower in my connecting master bathroom; washing my hair and everything.

I ran my hands through my slick wet hair, as I remembered reading the letter. A hundred and one questions rushed through my head at once.

Is he really dead?

Did he know he was going to die?

Could the same person/s responsible for his friends murder be responsible for his?