Chapter 31: The Aftermath

Tia's POV

"So what are we watching? I plopped down on to the couch that Malik was  sitting on.

I could hear him reply but I really wasn't listening. I was just so consumed by my own thoughts which just so happened to overshadow the words coming out of Malik's mouth. I was just trying to make conversation before he asked me about what happened earlier.

"Oh cool. Let's start then." I responded acting as if I heard a word he said. He nodded his head then pressed play.

The movie was just about to start when I felt the softness of a blanket being spread across the lower half of my body. We ended up sharing a blanket and a bowl of popcorn as the movie progressed. Malik was leaned up against one arm of the couch with his legs up while I sat leaned against the other arm of the couch with my feet propped up on top off his legs.

I don't know what happened to me but I was feeling happy for some odd reason. Maybe it was because I was finally socializing again and not sulking in the room all by myself, all day. Maybe it was because I got a new make over, something different and unlike me to cut my hair but I did it anyways and I haven't felt more alive since, it was like it marked a new me, the emancipation of me. I felt like a completely different person; free from every obstacle I was previously faced with. Most of all I think I felt happy because I finally let all my feelings out, let all my tears go. I felt rejuvenated and most of all I learned to let go, let go of all the things that hurt me in life and embrace all the good. 

Embrace the good like having such a great support system as my friends. I'm sure my family would have been great help too have they known; but I couldn't risk them taking the first flight out here to get their hands on Daniel and Jessica. Frankly speaking Daniel and Jessica aren't even worth it.

I'm just sorry things between Daniel and I had to end like that. I really thought we would be together for a very long time, forever even but I guess forever and happily ever afters are just for fairytales.

"Listen Tia, I've got something to say," Malik paused the show with an exasperated sigh, "I've been meaning to get this off my chest for sometime now and I can't help but feel that it is now or never."

"Ok then say it. I'm listening." I propped myself up to hear what he had to say and what had been bothering him so much.

"Damn, where should I start..... The day I first met you on that flight to New York I just knew I had to get your name but that was kind of hard since you were already asleep when I boarded the flight and you stayed asleep almost the entire time. So when we were being served snacks I saw it as my only opportunity to get to know you. After that you stayed on my mind nonstop for like a month until things with my grandmother started getting worse. I'll admit you slipped my mind but once I saw you again in New Jersey I had to speak to you again but then I realized you weren't alone. After getting in contact with you again I was happy even if you were in a relationship. I needed a friend in all that I was going through since my grandmother is all that I've got. Your genuine smile, amazing personality and kind heart led me to want to remain friends and being here for you right now is the least I could do since you helped me out with my grandmother." I listened carefully as he expressed hiself. There was this little part of me that knew just what he would say next.

"Now that your man is gone I can't help but feel like it's time to tell you just how much I really care and feel for you. I think I might even l-" I couldn't face him at this point so I lowered my head, something I've found to be happening ever so often. I  didn't want to be in this predicament at least not now since everything is so fresh in my mind but another part of me wanted to go running into his arms.