What the Mind Can Do

Wyatt

After everything that we've figured out, going to school seems too normal. I stare aimlessly at my locker, trying to figure out what it all means. "Are you trying to use telekinesis?" a voice startles me.

I turn and see James standing behind the door of my locker, "No, I'm just thinking. But that is something I've done before."

He laughs and closes the locker door. "No more thinking."

"James, we're at school."

"So? That just proves my point." I roll my eyes and let him drag me to who knows where. He brings me outside of the school and we sit down on the dark blue benches. "Did you hear? Mrs. Bitita quit, so now we have a new history teacher."

"Good, she gave too many assignments anyway."

The first bell rings and we stand from the bench, making our way into the school and towards the history room. When we get there, I take my usual seat in the back of the room and James, in stead of sitting in front of me, sits in the chair beside mine.

I pull my binder out of my bag, falling back into a daze, Quinn is real. Her world is real. And now I'm just suppost to go to school like nothing happened?

"Hey, are you listening to me?"

I take a deep breath and turn to James, realizing he had been talking the whole time.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I shake my head, trying to focus fully on James.

"Are you thinking again? Because I don't want you to hurt yourself." He looks at me with mocking concern and I roll my eyes.

"Very funny."

The class starts up, the new teacher, a man in his early forties, fit with stubble on his face and a few grey hairs mixing with dark brown, stands in the front of the class.

"I'm Mr. Turner, your new history teacher. If you have any questions for me, now is the time to ask."

A few hands go up but I don't listen to the questions being asked or the answers to them, instead James leans over and I turn to hear him.

"I know how crazy this all is, trust me I'm going through it too," he whispers.
"Doing everyday things seems too...ordinary now or something." He couldn't have been more accurate, "But if you ever do need to talk about it, you know where to find me."

I smile at him, I might have just met him a week ago, but the friendship between us clicked into place so easily that if feels like so much longer. "I know."

He smiles back and looks up at the class, everyone's still asking Mr. Turner questions. "So what do we do now?"

That was the question I had been asking myself since I talked to Quinn, and I still had no answer to it. I shrug, "Figure out more about it, I guess."

James nods, but then looks at me again, "Where do we even start?"

"Internet?"

"Yeah, we can't be the only ones who have figured this out..." he drifts off and looks around the classroom. I didn't realize that the whole room became silent, all eyes are on us.

"Please, Mr...." Mr. Turner hesitates, looking at his attendance chart and eventually finds James' face. "Mr. Hale, continue what you were saying." When James doesn't respond Turner's eyes fall on me, "What about you Miss. Collins? Care to share with the class?" I shake my head mutely, my cheeks heating in embarrassment. "Very well," He continues on with whatever he was talking about before and I look over at James.