Journal Entry

October 11th, 1993

A invitation just came in for the royal ball. This will be my first one, and of course I need to look my absolute best. I will be representing the Kai family. I'm thrilled to have received one, of course, but I'm afraid my nerves will get the best of me before tomorrow night. Mother will be wanting me to be on my very best behavior and for that she will undoubtedly give me a refresher course on manners. I can't wait.

And of course I will be needing a new dress. The thought of getting a new dress excites me and I can't wait to tell the head maid.

Other than receiving the letter, my day has been an absolute bore. I went to the market with my friend just for the fun of it and to get out of the house for a few minutes. Father wrote to me today telling me he would be away for longer than he expected, but he would try and visit soon. Ever since I moved away from home, from Japan, my family has tried to visit, Mother's able to get away from work much easier than Father is, but he does his best.

I love them more than they could ever know for giving me the opportunity to come here, to study here. I think they knew how much I hated staying at home, I would like to think they did anyway, and how much I wanted to travel outside of city borders. And thanks to the Millers, an old family friend, I have been able to. They let me stay in their home while I study for school. I'm more thankful than I know how to express.

And now I get to go to a royal ball.

-- KK

~•~

"Miss?"

Keimorra turned away from her journal to see her hand maid, and best friend, come into her bedroom carrying a tray of tea.

"Hello, Marie," Keimorra said, shutting her journal and moving it aside. Marie set the tea down and poured her a cup then handed it to her, "Thank you."

She studied the other girl as she moved across the room to the bed and flattened out the sheets, she wore a simple maids dress the color of cream, but it looked whiter against her tan skin. Keimorra envied Marie's skin, it was a natural golden while hers was pale.

She took a sip of her tea, it was sweet with herbs and honey, and spoke, "Marie? Could you give a message to Ashley? It's nothing urgent."

"Of course," the girl said turning to Keimorra, "What's the message?"

"Tell her," Keimorra said, suppressing a grin, she couldn't wait to tell Marie, "that I will be attending a ball tomorrow at the palace."

As soon as the words left her mouth, Marie's eyes widened and she yelped. "Keimorra!" She rushed to Keimorra and hoisted her up by the shoulders, "You better not be fooling with me."

Keimorra laughed, she always found it funny how as soon as she brought up something even remotely exciting the other girl dropped all her formality of a maid and became a best friend.

"I'm not, I'm not!" She spun around and grabbed the invitation off her desk, "See?" She handed it to Marie.

Marie took it and read the words, her mouth moving as she did. When she finished she looked back at Keimorra and she wanted to laugh all over again. The excitement in the girls eyes sparked like a fire.

"Oh, Morra! I can't believe it! You get to go the castle--" she stopped suddenly and Keimorra could see the wheels turning in her head. "What if you meet the prince?" Marie whispered. "Oh, it's like something from a fairy tale! He'll see you over the crowd, ask you to dance and then fall in love with you!"