Prologue

4/23/00

7:02 pm

The King knew something was wrong when he heard his brother had come to visit. After all, his brother never came by unless it was bad news. The last thing the King wanted was to hear bad news, it's his daughter's first birthday and all he wants is to spend time with her and his wife.

As he walks down the corridor to the room he told his brother to wait in, he thinks what his brother could want. They haven't seen each other in over ten years, his brother doesn't even know about the new princess.

The guards open the door as soon as the King reaches them and the first thing he sees is his brothers back. "Why are you here, brother?" The King asks, his voice echoing through the room.

His brother spins around to face him and tilts his head in a slight bow, the ever present scowl on his face. "Don't worry, my King I only came to talk." he spits out the words my king like he can't get them out fast enough.

"About what?"

He gestures for the King to take a seat but he stays standing, his brother sighs and walks closer to him. "You have ruled over this land for many years and have done a good job doing so. Don't you think it's time for someone else to take over the throne?"

Before the King could ask what his brother was talking about he heard a metallic sound of a knife being pulled from its holster and the sharp pain of it digging deep into his stomach. The King couldn't breath, couldn't move, the shock of what had happened over whelmed him and his mind shut down. His brother pulled the knife out and stabbed him in the chest.

The King sucked in a breath and the room spun. The brother pulled on the knife again and took a step back, the king could only take one shuffling step towards his brother before collapsing to the floor. He rolled on to his back and pressed a hand to each of his wounds. Each breath washed new pain over him and each beat of his heart sent a new pulse of blood spilling on the floor.

"Why...?" His voice came out croaked and small, barely squeezing out his tight throat.

His brother erupted with laughter. "Why? Why not? I grew up watching you train for leadership and what was I? You were the future king and I was only the kings brother, always skipped, glanced over, always in your shadow." He knelt down next to the king to whisper.   "Not anymore. You abused your role as leader. Never used it to it's full potential. But I will."

"You won't.......my guards...." The king's vision swam.

"Your guards won't be able to do anything. I have planned this day out for years and nothing will get in my way." He stood, and headed towards the door. The King didn't need to hear more, he knew his brother's plan. Next he would kill the Queen, find his daughter and kill her too and anybody else who tried to stop him. He also knew what would happen if his brother succeeded. He would send the people into poverty and fear.

The King had to give them a chance, had to make one last attempt to stop his brother. With a groan he pulled himself up off the floor. Dizziness swam laps in his brain but he refused to fall, to fail. He heard distant shouts, distant sounds of battle. His army was strong but his brother was very cunning and if he had planned for years like he said, he definitely would have accounted for the King's soldiers.

He stumbled out of the room and leaned heavily against the walls. Looking up briefly he realized he was in the Royal chambers. The Queen ran across the hall but stopped in her tracks when she spotted the King. She gasped and ran toward him. The King couldn't stand for another second, he fell to the tiled floor, struggling for breath.

"Go.......save her," the King says gasping for air.

"I can't leave you," the Queen replies tears streaking her pale face. This might be the last time he sees her.

"You have to. I love you."

"I love you too." The Queen replies sobbing.

She nods and stands, takes one last look at the king and sprints down the hall. He watches her leave but right before she turns a corner a guard runs into her. He grabs her by the shoulders. "Are you alright? You need to leave. Now."

The King recognizes the voice. One of his most trusted soldiers, someone who had saved his life many times in battle.

"I'm fine." The Queen points down the hall. "But the King. He's hurt."

The knight releases the Queen and runs down the hall to the King. He drops to his knees next to the King and presses his hands against his wounds. Trying, fretfully, to stop the bleeding.

"You need to escape.....go now." The King orders.

"I will not leave my King's side."

"I'm already dead.....but the princess...isn't. Please, escape....and find her."

The knight still hesitates, everything in him telling him not to abandon his King. In the strongest voice the king can muster he commands his soldier one last time, "Leave me, and save her."

At that the knight stands, salutes the King and says, "It was an honor," The King nods and the knight takes off down the hall. He feels himself fade from the loss of blood. The pain subsides and his mind slows. He downs his last breath knowing the princess is safe and that she will one day take back the kingdom.

The Queen hurries to the princess' room. Out of breath the Queen burst through the doors. There lies her baby in her crib startled by the loud noises crying. The Queen quickly picks up the baby, and makes a run for it. She has to take the princess to safety.

The Queen exits the palace and runs to the only place she can think of to hide her. The cave she used to play in as a little girl. The Queen wraps her arms around the princess tightly. Then the Queen sets the baby down in the cave on a pillow.

"Goodbye my baby girl. May we see each other again," the Queen says taking one last look at her beautiful daughter. The Queen has to go back for the King. No matter what she can't leave him there. Someone will find the princess. She sprints back to the palace.

When she gets there, she returns to the spot her husband was. There he lies soaked in blood. She rushes to him, and takes his pulse. His heart isn't beating, he's gone. The queen let's out a sob. She hears someone approaching, her brother in law stands tall above her.

"It was unwise of you to come back," he says.

"What have you done! You are a monster!"

Her brother in law lets out a harsh laugh, "I haven't done anything wrong, I was only taking what was rightfully mine." He then stabs the Queen in her chest, the Queen gasps in surprise.

"You will not win!" The Queen says gasping for air. As her vision starts to turn black, she thinks of her daughter. At least she is safe, and will take what is rightfully hers back.