407

Quinn

Those words break down the walls I built and I take a step away from him. "What do you mean?" I ask this in hopes that he's lying and that what I thought was only mine actually belongs to only me. Because if what he is saying is true, that means that I truly don't have anything.

"This book is useless without the key and I have the only key that could possibly open it. That means that this book also belongs to me," he says this so strongly that I know he isn't lying. I don't know how to even reply to this. I have always wondered why they left me a book with no key to open it. I am at a loss for words.

Wyatt comes to my rescue and answers for me, "Well, you were going to go ahead and look at it yourself when you have no right to. Even though you have the key, she has the book. That gives her a right to look at it."

"Why don't we just come to an agreement and we can all look at it?" James asks, quickly solving the problem in one sentence. Ashton reluctantly agrees and we decide to discuss it more after I clean him up.

I quickly realize just how injured he is. He also just got injured yesterday so he had no time to properly heal. I feel a pit of guilt in my stomach. He did steal my book, but now I find out that I was also stealing it from him. I need to help him. Without a word, I silently grab his arm and pull him into the area used to treat fighters. Wyatt and James stay behind.

"What are you doing?" he asks pulling his arm out of my grip.

"Helping you," I gesture for him to sit down on one of the examination tables in the infirmary. He hesitates but slowly sits down. He winces and holds a hand to his ribs. I look around, the room isn't large. It's an empty room with only a few chairs, some examination tables and cabinets with what I assume are supplies for them.

There are posters on how to properly treat yourself after fights hung on the walls. I'm guessing they don't get a lot of medical attention here. I rummage through the cabinets until I find the materials needed and sit on a stool in front of Ashton. Sitting down, we're actually level with each other.

I start with the cuts on his face. I start cleaning them with some rubbing alcohol. I get a closer look at his face and notice his features. He has gorgeous chocolate brown eyes and tanned skin. His hair although matted with sweat, falls perfectly across his eyes. I must have been staring because he snaps his fingers in front of my face.

I snap out of it and feel my face heat in embarrassment. "Sorry, I was just deep in thought." I apply medicine on the cuts. His bandages on his hands have bled through so I change them. Now comes the worst parts. I gently lift his shirt up and notice the bandages I applied from before are still on but have bled through.

There is new bruising and it looks like he fractured some ribs. I gently take off the old bandages and apply new ones. I hand him an ice pack. "Ice your ribs regularly and you'll have to get some medicine prescribed for the pain. Take it easy, no more fights."

"I don't have a choice. This is my only source of income." I can't force him to stop fighting, he needs the money. His body will never be able to properly heal, but it's none of my business. I stay quiet and don't try and argue with him. I clean up and go out of the infirmary and try to find Wyatt and James.

I find them near the weight lifting equipment and James is messing around while Wyatt watches him amusingly. "I finished up on Ashton."

"How do you know how to do that stuff?" James asks. "I mean, I thought you were a maid?"

"I am. And I don't really, just picked up a few things from old textbooks and stuff," I shrug.