Carter

Quinn

James and Wyatt explain everything to me, and I'm not really sure how to react. This changes everything, this more perfect version of New York I've been dreaming of is actually real. My best friend is from this world, and I can travel here in my dreams. It's all too surreal.

"So are we the only ones who can do this?"

"Not sure," Wyatt begins to say but James interrupts her.

"If it's anything like regular lucid dreaming, I assume not many people have the ability to do it," James says.

"Are there other worlds besides ours?"

Wyatt shrugs in reply, "I don't think so."

"I wish there was, that would be sick," James laughs.

"So when you guys come to my world, do you feel any different?"

"Not really," Wyatt says, "but sometimes when I resist waking up I feel a heaviness in my body and my head hurts."

James nods, "Yeah, we feel everything we normally would, pain and injuries transfer over between both worlds."

"So how are we all connected? Why us?" I ask.

"We don't know."

My stomach twists awkwardly. "I think I'm going to be sick."

Wyatt shrugs, "Well, now you know."

"What do we do now?"

"Now we should eat because I'm starving," James turns to a little boy I forgot was there. "Jack, you hungry?"

"Sure, I could eat." Jack replies.

"Cool. Dessert for dinner? Don't tell mom." Jack nods enthusiastically in reply. We walk out, and head to a nearby ice cream shop. The door chimes as we go in, bright colors decorate the place and the walls have paintings of icecream in cones. It reminds me slightly of Debbie's shop.

We walk to the counter, and countless of flavors are displayed, some I haven't even heard of. "Wyatt, what is this cot-ton candy?" I point to a light blue flavor that has specks of pink.

"The best thing known to mankind. You have to try it," she orders one for me and one for her.

The employee gives Wyatt a wide smile and says, "A cotton candy for the lovely lady." He then proceeds to give me mine, but never takes his eyes off of Wyatt. She blushes and looks down.

The employee tries to continue chatting with Wyatt when James interrupts, "This handsome guy wants a chocolate." I smirk at James' obvious jealousy. The employee just rolls his eyes then gives James and Jack their ice cream.

After we pay, we find a nice spot to sit down and eat. I take a small scoop and cautiously place it in my mouth. It tastes like nothing at first but then a sweetness explodes on my tongue. I can't really describe it, but it tastes like pure sugar which to me is pure happiness. Amazed, I take another bite.

My happiness doesn't last long, though, because I hear a distant buzz ringing in my ears. It's a familiar noise that I know all too well. I feel myself pulling away from this dream and panic. I can't just disappear in public. Hurriedly, I stand up, my chair falling back as I do and run to the bathroom, the last thing I hear is Wyatt calling after me.

~•~

I wake to the sound of the intercom buzzing. I shove my pillow over my head to try and drown out the noise but the buzzing remains constant. I grunt in frustration and lazily get up. I check the clock and it reads three in the morning. Who needs me at this time of night?