Chapter 8: Nine and Three Quarters

Start from the beginning

"No... I'm fine," Camila is obviously hesitating. She looks like she's dying to tell me something, but it must be too hard for her to do so. "I mean, I do have a huge problem... But..." Camila stops talking when a bunch of footsteps and giggling echo in the hallway, and she waits until they're gone before she speaks again. "Look, I can't explain it to you here, follow me..."

Camila pushes me into an unused room, and I watch her as she anxiously peers at the hallway before closing the door, then checking every nook inside the room as if to make sure no one's lurking. Once satisfied that nobody's inside other than us, she leans back against the door and lets out a shaky breath.

"Camz? What's up?" I take a small step forward, gazing at her face.

"What's up? Ha! You're asking me what's up?" She starts laughing hysterically, and I don't even think what I said was funny, but there she is, almost doubled up from her half-squeals half-guffaws, then her weird laughter suddenly turning into choking sounds and she looks at me helplessly -- her face a mix of sadness, confusion, and crazed wildness. "I'm up, that's what!"

In short, she looks desperate -- the kind of desperation you see from a hungry person and about to do anything for a piece of steak.

"You're up?" I ask. "I don't understand.... Like, you're high? Is that what you mean?"

"No! Forget it, I need to go..." Camila turns around, her hand already clutching the door knob, but I quickly tug at her robe and force her to face me.

"You know you can tell me anything, Camz. I won't judge," I say soothingly.

I rub her arm to calm her down, and I see her visibly shudder and close her eyes. When she opens them again, her dark brown eyes seem to be blazing with such intensity that my mind almost convinces me to look away or I'll be scorched.

When she speaks, her voice sounds a lot firmer, huskier than usual, there's still a nervous tone to it but it's better than her squeaky pitch a minute ago.

"Promise you won't laugh?" She asks me.

I continue to stroke her arm, up and down, up and down, lightly squeezing her flesh in between my rubbing. I nod.

"O-okay... So I got hit, right? By your spells?"

"Yes, I hope we didn't do any real damage," I say.

"Well, define real damage..." Camila grimaces. "I... Um, I grew -- I have --"

"Yes?"

Camila sighs, and scratches the side of her head in frustration. "I think I can show you better than I can tell you... I feel like if I say the word, it'll become permanent."

"Show me what?" I tilt my head sideways, still confused.

Camila grimaces, then point downwards with her lips, as if she's blowing kisses at her feet. Naturally, I look down and I see her hands clutching the fabric of her robe near her hips... then I see something weird.

"Uh, Camz?" I say, still looking below her waist. "Why is your wand pointed at me? Is this a stick-up? Coz you know I have no galleons to spare," I joke, but she doesn't laugh.