T W E N T Y

Chapter song: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

RYAN AND Henry got situated in the front seats of his car. Pulling the keys out of his right front pocket, Henry put them in the ignition.

He watched the younger girl shiver from the morning weather, so Henry made sure to crank up the heat. While pulling out of his driveway, all of the conversations that had once been between them had vanished.

The small town of Derry Maine was finally starting to wake up. Tiny shops were opening their doors, and the smell of freshly brewed coffee and warm food followed. Henry twisted to the girl in the passenger seat.

"You're quiet, what are you thinkin' about?" Henry murmured as he took a left turn.

"Richie," Her voice monotoned, leaving her one word answer drifting in the silent air.
Ryan had reached what she thought was her lowest point. She didn't know how to feel anymore. Waves of sadness didn't even phase her anymore. The overwhelming oceans of numbness blocked out any true emotions.

"Oh.." Henry managed to breathe out after a moment of still looking at her.

Leaving one steady hand one the steering wheel, Henry's right hand drifted to Ryan's knee cap. His thumb slowly rubbing small circles around it, hoping to calm her nerves. But she sat still, looking out of the window. Her face showing no emotion.

"Hey, it's goin' to be okay. He's gunna make it Ry," Henry murmured out, giving her a grin. He got a small weak smile in return and she turned her head to face the window once again.

Driving straight on to Pine lane, Henry realized something.
He didn't know if Richie was going be okay or not. Henry didn't know if he was strong enough to make it through this amount of physical trauma. He clearly didn't want to lie to Ryan, but Henry don't know what would happen. He was hoping for the best. Henry didn't know Richie that well, and over the years he hadn't been the nicest to the boy either. But he wanted Ryan to be happy again.

Getting lost in his thoughts, Henry realized that he had missed the turn into the hospital parking lot.

"Shit, uh sorry," Henry whispered out, pulling the gear shift into reverse.

"You're quiet, what are ya thinkin about?" Ryan finally spoke out again after the ten minutes of driving, quoting Henry.

"Richie," He answered honestly.

Finally, they made it to the parking lot. It was littered with very few cars, so finding parking wasn't that hard. He turned the keys, shutting the car off in the process.

"Come on," Henry said quietly and opened the car door.

They walk close by each other through the empty, sad hallway of the hospital. Practically hand in hand. Henry and Ryan reached the front desk in no time, getting the attention of a young female nurse.

"Oh! Hello how can I help you today?" She asked with a fake cheery smile. Fake to the point she knew it was fake too.

"Um can we see a patient?" Henry mumbled out, looking down at Ryan. Her arms were crossed slightly, and her left leg was slightly bouncing up and down. Nervous.
Henry placed his hand protectively on her back, and gave the nurse a small smile.

"Of course, patients name?" The blonde girl smiled out, leaning on the counter towards them.

"Um Richie Tozier," Henry heard Ryan's weak voice breathed out.

"Ah yes, Mr. Tozier. He has finally woken up!" The nurse grinned out and slid a slip of paper over to Ryan.

Henry had never seen that girl's face light up so fast. Ryan's frown was replaced with a toothy grin, showing off that tooth gap of hers. She uncrossed her arms and now they were slightly in the air.