Chapter 16

Naoko's POV

The overly enthusiastic teacher ran up to Naoko. She rolled her eyes at his smile "You're going to Melbourne."

He pointed to the sky aggressively. Something Naoko had seen in AFL matches on white people's TVs. She didn't quite know what it meant but she assumed it was positive. She just thought of her primary school teacher telling her off for pointing 'It's rude to point' because it offended people or something.  The clouds must have been so triggered.

Naoko trotted on back to the picnic blanket.

Ian was laughing his ass off "You really won that race in a corset."

Naoko crossed her arms "That's not the thing to be impressed about buddy."

She kicked up her boot so it rested on his chest, the heal poking him.

He licked his lips and wiggled his eyebrows before grabbing the slippery shiny shoe and pulled her towards him. She fell on him. Her spikes digging into his flesh.

"Ew get a room guys!" Cherry squealed.

Naoko blushed, luckily for her no one would ever know under all the white makeup.

"Can I join you in that room?" Anne asked leaning in, they all gave her weird looks "No that came out wrong."

They all broke into laughter.

The rest of the day was majorly uneventful. Of course, despite all Naoko's effort one of the conventional pretty girls won best dressed. Naoko clapped along with the rest of the school and she wasn't even mad because she knew it was going to happen. It always did. Originality counted for nothing.

However there was something that did bother Naoko. The man with the green eyes. She couldn't get him off her mind and when given a moment to pair her mind wandered to him. Who was he? And why was she the only one who could remember him?

She was lost in thought as the bus pulled up in front of the school and had to be nudged by Anne to get up. 

A few moments before her sister would be picking her up. She treasured him. Getting a sneaky kiss from Ian before waving goodbye to her friends. She stood in front of the gate waiting. More and more people left until she was the only one there. 

Looking around she felt like she was being watched, but there was no one there. Her mind went instantly to the man with the green eyes. He must be there!

Naoko stopped leaning on the fence and despite the pain in her feet walking around searching. He wasn't small but she also knew he had to be there. Who else could it be? 

She limped through the school parking lot, checking each row. No one. Yet she still felt the eyes staring down at her. The feeling was aggressive now. Like she was prey. Naoko darted back to the school gates, as she did her eye caught on something. 

A man dressed all in black, much like herself in style. What was most notable was the fact that he was wearing sun glasses, though through them Naoko could see the glint of bright eyes.

She didn't stop, she could see the car out front and practically dived in. 

Her sister's judgemental eyes were in the rearview mirror "Calm down."

"Shut up Mana, you were late."

"Sorry if I have more important things to do than to pick you up from school," Mana's eyes focused on the road.

Naoko ignored her and looked out the window. She could no longer see the man in black. Naoko almost thought she had imagined him. However she had thought she had imagined the man with the green eyes too. Two imaginary men. She was definitely insane.

Neither of them could be real, could they?

Eventually Mana pulled up outside their house, she looked at Naoko in the rearview mirror again "My washing needs to be done when you get inside, like right away."

Naoko opened the car door and struggled her way out "Like right away dear sister," she said through clenched teeth. 

***

Weeks had passed with no sights of the green eyed man and soon it was time for Naoko's trip to the city. 

8am start, Naoko and her fellow students with Mr Overly Enthusiastic got on an early train bound for Flinders Street station. 

Meow Myths,

Yeah it's been a while since I updated. I'm grateful for all those still reading. It's been a bit of a creative slump for me.I hope I'll get back into it but I don't think I can make any promises right now.

Next chapter will be worth the wait though.

First published 22/7/2018

Meow for now