Chapter 13

Nyarai's POV

Mrs Leoni was giving Zodwa some suggestions for art books and Dan and Alexis were working on a project together so Nyarai was left to my own thoughts when she felt that fateful pat on her shoulder.

She turned to see her. Perfect face, perfect body, Nyarai should have hated her, those were Nyarai's first thoughts. But as Nyarai's eyes met hers the gravity of their meeting set in. It was like the stars had aligned. Nyarai didn't know what to say but at the very core of her being she knew. This person was important. It was a similar kind of feeling that she had for Cale. 

For the first few seconds they just stared at each other. Completely unsure of what to say.

"Alkira," she spat out.

Nyarai's brows furrowed "Alkira?"

"I'm Alkira," her face relaxed into a smile.

"Nyarai," Nyarai said "Are you new to the school? I've never seen you around."

"No, I just hardly ever show up," she responded. There was a pause in their conversation. Why was it so important that Nyarai met this girl? Someone who skips school more than she attends. What business could she possibly have with her? 

Nyarai didn't know but she also didn't want her to leave. Nyarai wanted her near so she could figure out the purpose of their meeting.

So Nyarai patted the seat next to her and she sat. "It's been a real weird few days," Alkira told me.

"What do you mean?" 

Her eyes flicked around the room "I don't know what but something is telling me I need to talk to you."

Nyarai's eyes widen, she felt it too. Should she admit it? It would sound crazy but Alkira had already gone out on a limb and just blatantly said it, so why couldn't she?

"Me too," Nyarai barely managed. 

Dan had slid his chair back up to Nyarai's table "Who's that Nyarai?"

Nyarai unwillingly looked away from Alkira "This is Alkira."

Alkira gave an unfriendly smile to Dan.

"Ok..." Dan muttered "why is she here, she's clearly not a library type."

"I'm here to talk to Nyarai, really it's none of your business so F off ok?" Alkira snapped at him. 

He held his hands up in surrender and mounted 'ok' before scooting back over to Alexis. 

Alkira and Nyarai's head snapped back to each other. 

"I'm not quite sure what I need to say to you or why I'm talking to you but here I am," Alkira blurted out "This school is weird, first it was that weird man with those eyes outside the school then I'm compelled to talk to you for no reason I can think of."

"Wait wait wait, man with eyes? green eyes?" Nyarai asked, suddenly she was intensely interested.

"Yeah, do you know him? He said his name was Pan."

"Pan.... I don't really know him but I've met him. He said some really weird things to me."

"Me too!" Alkira exclaimed.

"Maybe that's got something to do with all this," Nyarai said to herself.

The bell eoched all over the school. 

"I've got to get to class but I'll see you I promise," Nyarai started packing up her books.

Alkira grabbed a pen from Nyarai's pencil case and started to scribble down something in Nyarai's advanced mathematics notebook. Nyarai stopped and looked at her.

"It's my number chill."

"Oh thanks," Nyarai collected the rest of her books "see you."

"Yep I'll see you." Alkira didn't react like Nyarai did to the bell. She sat there and thought deeply while Nyarai hurried off to get to class.

Dan and Alexis met up with her in the rush off the hallways. 

"That girl was so rude, why were you talking to her?" Dan asked.

"I'm not sure," Nyarai started and paused "Yet."

Dan and Alexis exchanged looks with each other.

***

On the bus Nyarai was finally able to add Alkira's number to her phone. Her phone was old and slow but it was also all she had. Texting still worked fine on it. So she sent Alkira a message.

Hey it's Nyarai

She slipped it back into her pocket. She could barely contain her excitement. She was going to solve this mystery with Alkira. She anxiously waited to feel the buzz of her phone for the whole bus ride. Shuffling nervously. Even managing to pull Zodwa out of her trance.

"What's up?" Zodwa asked.

"Oh nothing, just made a new friend today," Nyarai replied.

Zowda raised an eyebrow "A boyfriend?"

"No," Nyarai rolled her eyes.

"Then why are you excited like that?"

Nyarai still couldn't quite explain it but she knew it had something to do with that man. Pan was his name and he had something planned for both of them. She didn't know if it was sinister or not.

Nyarai changed the subject "What you reading?"

Zodwa was holding a big picture book "It's a art book, Mrs Leoni recommended it to me."

Nyarai glanced over and looked at the famous paintings and pictures of Andy Warhol "Oh you know there's an exhibition on at the NGV about him right?"

Zodwa nodded "Yep I'm going tomorrow."

Nyarai raised her eyebrows "And when were you planning on telling me this?"

"Now," Zodwa replied with a cheeky smile.

"Alright, I guess I'll take you."

Meow myths,

Alkira and Nyarai have finally met, what to you think? Everyone is coming together... well except Naoko but she will soon don't you worry. 

First published 11/6/2018

Meow for Now