Chapter 8: Planning Ahead

(Ehhhhh I'm back. By the way, thanks so much @PeijiChan for the book cover! I love it so much!)

Jaiden lay there in bed, thoughts spinning around in her mind rapidly as Ari chirped multiple times in his cage. Eventually snapping out of it, and hearing Ari, she sat up and closed her door, then opened Ari's cage. He flew out, and immediately landed on Jaiden's shoulder. She smiled warmly and chuckled as Ari nuzzled against her, rubbing against her cheek. She held her finger up, and he hopped onto it like a ledge. Jaiden sighed.

"At least I'm not anxious around you Ari."

Seeing Ari cock his head to the side, Jaiden chuckled again and beamed at the small bird. She brought him over to her desk, where he sat perched on her digital art tablet. She sat down in her chair, and put on her glove, then grabbing her stylus as she powered on her computer and tablet.

"Alright....well, I guess I should get back to work on the video...."

About thirty minutes into animating, she was interrupted by a knock on her front door, followed by the doorbell ringing. She sighed and got up, putting Ari back in his cage.

She made her way to the door and checked to see who it was.

"Oh. It's Adam."

She opened the door and greeted him before leading him to the couch, where he instantly sat down, exhausted. She shut and locked the door before turning to the weary man on the couch.

"You okay Adam?"

"Yeah. Just a little tired, that's all. I stayed up all night working on my animation, which was a huge mistake."

"Ah. I see. Well, what brings you here?"

"Well, I was around the area, and I figured I'd just stop by for a visit. Anyways, how's Ari?"

"He's good. Just being a little brat like usual."

"Oh, that's right. I forgot how he can be."

"Yeah."

"So how's your girlfriend [Y/N]?"

Jaiden's face went red.

"Wh-what?!"

Adam stood up and looked directly into Jaiden's flustered face.

"So. How's. Your. Girlfriend. [Y/N]."

"A-A-Adam! She's not my g-girlfriend!"

"Oh, she's not? I just figured she was because of how close you two are."

Jaiden sighed and looked away sadly.

"Yeah, well....as much as I'd like it to be that way, she'll never love me like that..."

"Oh, that's nonsense Jaiden! I'm sure she's falling head over heels for you! I can just imagine how upset she was when she had to leave."

Jaiden sighed and crossed her arms, rolling her eyes. She smiled at the thought, but quickly frowned when she realized it'd never happen.

"Well....she's not in love with me, I can tell you that...."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Well, because. She never shows any sign, and she always seems interested in another person. It's been that way since we were little kids...."

"Well, I can tell you for a fact that she loves you."

"Oh? And how can you be so sure?"

"Because she's my cousin."

Jaiden stood there for a moment, dumbfounded.

"Wh-what? She is?"

"Uhuh. And every time she comes over for a visit, all she talks about is how much she wishes you'd confess to her, or how she wishes she had the confidence to confess to you."