Chapter 3: New Year, Not So New Me....

Jaiden woke up, curled up in a ball underneath her thick comforter. She may live in the blazing heat, but her room always seemed to get below freezing.

She sat up and yawned, rubbing her eyes and popping her back, relieving any stress she may have had while asleep.

She groaned as her leg began to grow sore. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to challenge herself to try and rest her leg above her head on the wall while creating a speedpaint. Yeah. That definitely wasn't a good idea. (Haha, why did I add that to the story?? 🤣)

She sighed as she slipped out of her room and into the living room, spotting you asleep on the couch. She smiled, but quickly frowned and groaned as her stomach rumbled.

Your eyes fluttered open and landed on Jaiden, who was throwing a hoodie and sweat pants on over her bony limbs. You frowned and rubbed your eyes as you sat up.

Jaiden saw your sleepy form rise up slightly. She sighed quietly and walked out of her room again. She walked over and sat down in front of your feet, that were stretched out to the opposite side of the couch.

"Morning sleepyhead. How'd ya sleep?"

You sat up and yawned, your now messy hair covering half of your exhausted face.

"I slept fine. How'd you sleep?"

Jaiden smiled.

"Same here. Although, my leg is really sore from yesterday."

You sat there in silence for a little bit, processing what happened yesterday. You chuckled and scratched the back of your neck.

"Yeah. That probably wasn't such a good idea."

Jaiden nodded in agreement and looked away, her stomach rumbling louder. You rested your head on her shoulder as you sat beside her, lazily wrapping your arms around her to form a hug.

She looked at you in slight surprise before sighing and relaxing.

You looked up at her, and she looked down at you.

"You should get something to eat Jaiden."

"But I'm not hungry."

"Well even if you don't feel hungry, your stomach says otherwise. C'mon, let's go get breakfast or something. I'll buy."

Knowing she couldn't convince you she wasn't hungry, she reluctantly nodded and stood up, grabbing her keys.

You both walked outside and got in the car, Jaiden making sure to lock her front door. Jaiden spoke up as she pulled her seatbelt and fastened it with weak arms.

"So where do you want to go Y/N?"

"Well......how about that small bakery downtown? They're toaster strudels are just the best!"

Jaiden smiled at your enthusiasm. She nodded.

"Sure. They do have air conditioning, right?"

You chuckled.

"Yes. They do. And I think everyone is grateful for that."