Game Over

Chapter 6: Game Over

As the walker's jaws were clamped and locked on (M/n)'s shoulder, his eyes stared up at the visible stars as he struggled. They shined so brightly, occasionally twinkling, as if they were winking. His mind went into a state of shock. His eyes wide, mouth hanging open. His scream was cut off as shock took over.

His life before the Apocalypse flashed in his mind. His head lolled backwards and his eyes shut just as the walkers body went limp above his.

"(M/n)!" A deep raspy panicked voice yelled as the corpse was lifted off his body.

Daryl knelt next to his husband. His hands examined him as he searched for any wounds. His body froze up as he noticed the torn up flesh on his shoulder.

"No no no no no no no!" He cried out. He put his hands on the wound to stop the bleeding. He could feel the tears stinging his eyes. (M/n)'s blood seeped between his fingers, and it wasn't stopping.

"Daryl!"

Daryl's head shot over his shoulder as Rick jogged over. Carl was holding Eren close as the boy cried into Carl's shirt. Some of the other group members are right behind them. Rick knelt down next to Daryl and placed his hands over Daryl's.

"Amy! RV. First Aid kit. Now! He's going into shock!" Rick ordered. Amy nodded and quickly rushed back into the RV.

(M/n) sat up and tried to help Daryl stop the bleeding. "I'm bit... I got bit!"

Lori pushed past everyone and came over to help the three of them. Carl gripped Eren's body closer as he stared at (m/n)'s shaking body. "He's bit, isn't he mom. He's gonna die." Tears streamed down his face, and his face burrowed into Eren's side.

Those words froze (M/n) as he glanced up into Daryl's eyes in fear. He was panicking.

Amy ran back over with the first aid kit. She handed over all the gauze they had.

"What happened!?" Rick asked Amy as he, Daryl, Lori worked fast to stop the bleeding.

Amy wiped her tears as she tried to compose herself. "He saved my life. Pushed me out of the way of the walker..." No more needed to be said for them to guess what happened next.

Once they got the bleeding under control, Daryl lifted (M/n)'s body up, and they moved him into the RV.

Lori and Daryl stood by the bed in the back of the RV as the rest of the group worked on gathering the bodies of all the dead. Burning the walkers and burning the group members who died.

Daryl stayed close to (M/n) and refused to leave his side. He assured Lori that it was fine and to go watch the boys.

(M/n)'s skin was pale, and he was sweating pretty badly. Daryl was terrified, and all he could do was sit and hold (M/n)'s hand as they waited.

~~X~~

Daryl sat on the bed as (M/n) slept. His head was resting on (M/n)'s lap as he listened to his breathing. There was a knock on the RV door before Rick walked in.

"We are leaving for the CDC soon. How's he doing?" Rick asked as he walked over towards Daryl. Daryl lifted up his head and nodded. He looked at (m/n)'s face and sighed.

"No fever yet. Just keeps tossing and turning."

"Must be dreaming."

"I wonder what about..." Daryl drawled out.

......

(M/n) let out a giggle as Daryl tickled him. He was smiling brightly as he watched (M/n) laugh. His hands stopped tickling him, and he lowered his head to his stomach.

"What do ya think it's gonna be?" He asked out of nowhere. He nuzzled his face into (M/n)'s tummy. (M/n) let out a hum and started to run his fingers through Daryl's hair.

"I'm thinking a boy." (M/n) ruffled his hair and rolled over so he was lying on Daryl's chest. He looked up at his husband and winked. "You?"

"Same. Never 'magined I'd be a father. Didn't think it was gonna be possible once I married ya. Maybe adoption, but this? " His hands stroked (M/n)'s back in soothing strokes. "When ya gonna start show'n?"

His husband laughed and sat up. His hands went to Daryl's hips, and his legs straddled his waist. "I'm only a month and a half through. I won't start showing until about 4 or 5 months."

Daryl let out a chuckle and gripped onto (M/n)'s waist and grinned up at him. "Just wanna show ya off ta people. Let 'em know yer mine. That I love ya."

(M/n) blushed and buried his face into Daryl's chest. "Oh yeah. All people will be thinking is 'hey look! It's that hermaphrodite who got pregnant!' Cause that will bring in a ton of news reporters... And scientists wanting to 'examine me." (M/n) spoke sarcastically as and put air quotes around the word examine before chuckling at his husbands dumb struck face.

Daryl brought (M/n)'s face to his and smiled softly. "Ya know that only you, me, and our trusted doctor and nurses know about this, right? And I ain't gonna let anyone experiment on you two."

(M/n) smiled and nodded. "I love you too, Daryl. I married you, didn't I?"

.......

(M/n) shot up and screamed. He rolled over and fell off the bed. Daryl rushed over to his side. (M/n) was clawing at his shoulder, tearing the gauze off in the process. Daryl tried to keep (M/n)'s hands from hurting himself even further until he froze up and just sat there.

(M/n)'s head fell forward and collapsed on Daryl. Daryl held him close. His husbands breathing came in deep, ragged breaths. (M/n) was terrified.

Rick came up behind Daryl with a sad expression.

"What are we going to do when the bite gets to him?"

"I-I don't know." Daryl mumbled out, his face filled with grief. Ricks eyes widened as Daryl started to cry silently, his cries making (M/n) cry even harder.

The door to the RV bursts open, and Lori stormed in. The group was standing behind them, and they all came inside. Rick shook his head. It was getting cramped inside the RV.

"Guys... Come on, give them some space."

(M/n)'s body twitched, and his breathing was ragged again. His arms gripped onto Daryl's arms, and his nails dug into his flesh.

"(M/n)..." Rick trailed off.

"I-I wanna see Eren..." He got out as he tried to stop his sniffling.

(M/n) hissed as his shoulder pulled as he shifted, and he winced in pain. "M-my shoulder. It burns."

Daryl nodded quickly to him, and Rick tossed him some more bandages. Daryl gently rewrapped (M/n)'s bite and helped put him back on the bed.

Rick stared at them as Carl and Eren walked in, both of them rushing to (M/n)'s side. He held them close as the boys cried. Daryl kissed (M/n)'s cheek before standing up and walking over to Rick.

"H-" He quickly cleared his throat. "He doesn't have a fever yet, and the wound doesn't look too bad. No discoloration or any signs of infection."

Rick nodded slowly. He glanced at (M/n) briefly before locking eyes with Daryl. "No signs of a fever at all?"

Daryl shook his head slowly. "None. Guess we will find out when we get to the CDC." He looked at Rick tiredly. "And fast."

Rick nodded. "At least he doesn't seem to be getting worse." He said as he looked at (M/n)'s pale, sweat covered face as he kissed Eren's face with a small, pained smile.

Daryl nodded and smiled weakly. "Yeah..." He mumbled. "I don't want to lose him." Daryl closed his eyes. "It was too close."

Rick nodded. "I will tell the others. We will leave in a few minutes when everyone is ready."

Daryl made a noise of acknowledgment as Rick left the RV.

'Way too damn close. It was almost game over, (M/n), fer both of us...'