Exposure

Chapter 14:

"Rick!" I point off into the distance in a rush. "We have to go! We need to get back and warn the group!"

Rick nods and pushed Carl towards me. "Take Carl with you! I don't think we will make it in time to warn and get out."

Carl grips onto my arm and glances worriedly at his father.

I gently run a hand through his hair. "What about you?"

When a faint smile crosses Rick's face, I frown.

"I'm gonna send a warning, set a fire. That'll get the groups attention and hopefully notice the hoard. Hell, maybe I'll get a few walkers too."

I nod and start pushing Carl back towards the farm. "Be careful, Rick."

And with that, I pick Carl up and start running... He's heavier than I thought he would be.

It didn't take long to get back to the farm, which meant it wouldn't be long before the walkers were upon them.

I spot Lori out on the porch with Herschel. She looks as if she has been panicking. "Carl!" She shouts when she spots us. I place Carl down as I reach the steps and frown.

"Lori! Get everybody inside and gather all our shit fast. We need to be ready to leave!" I shout as I rush past her, grabbing everything I saw of importance and began to pack.

"What? Why?" She asked, following my movements with worried eyes.

I sigh and glance around at all the frightened and worried people. "Walkers. A whole herd of them, hundreds heading this way." I say, watching as everyone kicks into action.

Supplies, bags and people are quickly gathered and thrown into vehicles. I spot Daryl off in the distance, on his bike and ushering people along and making sure we haven't forgot anything.

Eren is glued to my side as everyone rushes around. A scream reached my ears and I let out a horrified yelp as a walker drags Patricia to the ground, Maggie, and Hershel screaming her name. After that, all hell broke loose as the horde surrounded us.

...

I gasp as I break through the trees and fall to my knees on the pavement. Sobbing could be heard next to me and I rub my sons back gently, trying to sooth him and regain my breath. We had gotten separated from the others.

We were running through the woods with Amy and Andrea, but I lost sight of them not too long after entering the dense trees. I hoped they were all right.

"Shhh, baby boy." I whisper as I help Eren to his feet and took a quick glance around. We were on the highway. I spot a sign and smile in relief. We were not to far from where we lost Sophia.

Rick came up with the smart idea to meet there on the highway if something ever happened where we were forced to split up.

I cup Eren's face and kiss his red nose, his eyes still watering. "Let's go find Daddy."

I grip his hand in mine and lead him along just a bit in front of me, never taking my eyes off him for too long.

The sound of a gun cocking makes me freeze. I slowly glance over my shoulder and my eyes widen. A survivor, and he wasn't part of our group.

"Give me your bag and weapons!" He angrily demands.

I slowly turn around, keeping Eren out of his sight. The man pauses as he sees my face completely.

"A girl huh? Been a long time since I've seen a girl alive and kicking." He smirks, showing off nasty, yellow teeth.

"Sorry to burst your sick bubble, but I ain't no girl, buddy." I snarl, I slowly release my hold on Eren's shirt, slowly moving it to my back pocket where my pocket knife was. My movements hidden and still unnoticed by the man.

He frowns briefly before his smirk was back. "Well, you're pretty enough, you'll still do." He moves forward, gun pointed at my head.

I grip the handle of the knife, drawing it out and whipping it in the mans direction. Just as my knife meets the mans shoulder, blood spews from his head as an arrow inbeds itself into his eye.

My body sags in relief as his body crumpled to the hard asphalt, instantly knowing who wasn't too far away from us, probably hidden in the trees.

I fall to my knees, exhaustion finally taking over. Today had been a rough day. Eren falls with me, crying softly into my shoulder blade. Dirty boots enter my vision before knees take their place and I'm encased in a embrace.

I inhale my husband's scent as my eyes close. I feel my body go limp as our son crawled in between our bodies. There, in that moment, I let the exhaustion take me into a dreamless sleep, knowing my son and I were in safe hands.

...

I awoke to the sound of muffled voices. I was laying inside a tent, Eren curled up into my front. Something warm was pressed against my back. I slowly glanced over my shoulder to see Carl clinging to my back.

I smiled gently turned onto my back carefully, trying not to wake either of them. I pulled each of them into my sides and held them close. Closing my eyes, I was ready to fall back to sleep.

"You knew all this time and didn't tell us?! That we're all infected?" My eyes snapped open. That sounded like Glenn.

"Jenner told me that it was possible. It's inside all of us. I'm sorry, I didn't know how to tell you." Rick tried to calm everyone down.

"What else did he tell you?" Lori demanded. She sounded pissed.

"(M/n)." Rick barely got out.

Everyone went deathly silent. I knew what was going on. Every one of them had turned towards Rick as Daryl stormed over to the older man.

"What about 'em?" He growled, accent thicker that ever.

"(M/n) and Eren might be the only thing that can stop this. They're both immune. The virus isn't in their blood like it is in ours. (M/n)'s blood fought the virus off and left no traces. Jenner told me, that no matter what, they need to survive. Apparently there's a military base set up on an island off the coast of California." He paused. "He told me that we need to get them there."

My grip on the boys tightened and my eyes widened. Holy shit!