Chapter 29 - wait a minute

Andrei's POV

Davey, Angela and Hyacinth . . . my three best friends were all waiting anxiously at the entrance. I immediately saw them as soon as I got out of the ambulance.

They followed us to the emergency room but just stayed outside.

"What happened . . . best friend?" Davey started to ask.

"Sabbi had shrimp sushi at lunch in school." I let out a sigh, my lips started trembling. Though I tried hard reigning my fears.

"She did not . . . !!!" Angela said.

"She admitted to me when she saw how upset I was." I explained.

"Oh, Sabbi!" Davey exclaimed.

"And that did it?" Hyacinth asked.

"Most probably, I think so!" I informed them.

A nurse signalled for my presence at the station. I had to fill up and sign necessary documents for Sabbi's admittance.

And having done all those, I went back to the waiting room with my friends.  The nurse assured me that Sabbi was now in good hands.

Waiting was a real turture as I sat rigidly in my seat. Anxiety was eating me up. All I knew this far was what the paramedic told me. I sensed that my sister was just putting up a brave front for me.

My three friends likewise were sitting out like brave soldiers silently keeping their faces bland. But I knew them. Sabbi was like their little sister.

"Hello?" I heard Davey's incoming call tone and he was talking now on the phone.

"Uh huh, yeah! She's here . . ."

"Wait a second . . ."

"Andrei . . . it's Ashton . . ." Davey raised an eyebrow at me as he gave me his cellphone.

All I could do was give him a uncertain smile, and he answered me with a shrug.

I stood up and went outside finding a corner where I could talk.

"Ashton . . . ?"

"Princess?"

"Yes, I'm right here."

"I've been calling you since about an hour ago . . . but your phone just kept on ringing."

"Wait a minute . . ." I answered.

My hand went outright to the back pocket of my pants. But I didn't feel my cellphone there.

"I think I may have left it somewhere . . . maybe at home. I don't know. It just slipped my mind."

"It's alright, Princess! At least I know now you're good and I know where you're at. I was worried sick you didn't answer your phone."

"I'm sorry Ashton, I was just distracted, you know . . ."

"Don't worry, Princess . . . it happens sometimes, okay? And . . . this was an emergency, I fully understand that."

"Thank you, Ashton . . . "

"And how's your sister . . . ?" Ashton inquired.

"We're waiting for the doctor to come out of the emergency room. She's still inside."

"Good! We're now airborne. We'll get there early in morning."

"What?????  Oh . . . you shouldn't have come here, there's no need for you . . . I mean, I am glad you're here . . . But, really . . . you shouldn't have come . . . " I was stuttering, I was just flabbergasted! I'm not used to special treatment like this one!