Chapter Eight: Summer Break

Start from the beginning

"Are you losers planning to eat dinner?" Parker shouted to them. They had pulled the camp chairs up around the fire so they could start cooking their food.

"We're coming," Levon called back, then to Aisha. "If he starts telling that fucking story about when his dad lost his finger, I'm gonna stab him."

"Careful there, Lev. You're starting to sound like Todd," Aisha smirked and climbed to her feet.

"Well someone here needs to sound like Todd," Levon mumbled. He followed her to the fire and rolled his eyes when the only available seat was next to Todd. Aisha smirked and Cash grinned at him. Levon sat down and Todd didn't look at him. Todd was focusing on Betto's very detailed play by play of his last date with Ophelia. They had gone rollerblading and she had kissed his cheek after. Betto was sure that meant she was as happy as he was. Todd didn't look all that impressed.

"Anyone want drinks?" Parker asked, the cooler was next to his chair.

"Better be alcoholic," Todd spoke up and Levon glanced at him. "I don't think I can take any more talk about Ophelia without something to soothe my pain."

"If you don't want to hear me talk about her, just tell me to shut up," Betto huffed and grabbed the cans Parker was passing down to him. "I can always talk to someone else."

"Not me please," Levon raised his hand. "I don't think I could stomach listening to you talk about my little sister in such a lovey-dovey tone."

"There is a lot of rude stuffed in your skinny, little body," Betto observed and Todd snorted a laugh.

"I'm lean not skinny, you brute," Levon retorted and Betto grinned.

"If I can snap you in half, you're skinny," Betto stated. Levon pulled his pocket knife out threateningly.

"I could shave some of that extra meat off you and see who's skinny then," Levon offered and Aisha reached over to take the knife from him.

"No psychos allowed at this party," Aisha scolded him.

"My dad cut off his finger with a knife like that," Parker started and Levon groaned.

"Quick, gimme the knife so I can shut up the chatty ginger," Levon hissed and Aisha just cackled.

Meats and sticks were passed around until everyone was holding sausages over the fire to cook. Conversation stayed constant and they all ate quite a bit. The sun had barely begun setting when they started but by the time they were done, and all changed into warmer clothes, it was dark and they were seated around the fire drinking hot chocolate and beer.

"Parker, I'm probably just friends with you for this place," Aisha sighed, tilting her head back to look up at the very visible stars. Parker nodded in acceptance. Parker's family owned the land and members of the family took turns coming up to camp. The six of them were staying for about five days, this being their first.

"I can live with that as long as you can live with the fact that I'm only your friend because Cash told me I had to be," Parker said and Aisha laughed.

"This is, in fact, true," Cash said. "He didn't like you when you two first met because he thought you were scary."

"Do you think I'm less scary now, Parker?" Aisha asked while they laughed, and Parker smiled.

"I think anyone would be stupid not to be scared of your psycho ass," he said. "I watched you key a chick's car because she took your seat in class. I don't want to see what you do to someone who really pisses you off."

"She blackmailed Mr. Reef when he tried to fail her for not doing math exactly like he did," Betto said. "I think that's the scariest thing."

"He was cheating on his wife and doing a shit job of hiding it. He set himself up for it," Aisha said in defense, but she looked rather flattered with the attention.