Chapter 27

Poppy failed to tell me one important fact about her friend’s wedding – it was going to be in France, Montpellier to be precise.

And that could only mean one thing; a shopping spree – yes, it was only a two day event – but that didn’t matter. The moment the words ‘trip’ or ‘holiday’ slipped into a sentence, the tills were already ringing.

I stayed away from bland colours and opted for bright ones – I bought a sky blue dress with tiny daisies around the hem, a lollipop red dress which I was pondering whether to wear on the day of the wedding or not – surely that wouldn’t outdo the bride, although it did emphasise on my new tiny (ish) waist – but don’t believe the hype – my new found curves were not from some successful fad diet I had discovered or some miraculous detox.

 I had unknowingly started something completely new – the heartbreak diet. Apparently whenever you feel like devouring a piece of chocolate or cutting another slice of that gateau all you have to do is think of ‘that guy’ you know the one, we all have one – and then all of a sudden the cake that calls out to you – suddenly becomes less tempting.

Whoever thought of that is a genius – an absolute genius – smoothing out the dress and doing one last twirl in the mirror – I thought if I ever get the, chance to meet the guy who designed this ‘diet’ I would kiss him – passionately.

One last look in my suitcase and I was good to go – Poppy had called at least ten times that morning to make sure I had everything, her intolerable questions made me develop OCD – passport, check – tickets, check – purse with credit cards but not too many, check, the cute snap I took of Scott and I in the photo booth at the mall last year which I just noticed was still in my purse – uncheck.

My phone rang again but I was already half-way out the door, she’ll have to wait until I’m inside the cab before I ring her back – ‘One Minute!’ I yelled out to the flustered taxi driver who had been waiting for at least ten minutes already. I remembered I had forgotten to feed the fish!

 Dropping my suitcase to the floor I ran back inside – searching through the cupboards for the fish food.

 And that was when I noticed Nemo floating at the top of the bowl in a strange position – ‘Nemo! Oh god, Nemo!’

Covering my hands over my face, I stared down at the bowl – my buddy, the fish I told everything too – he was planted right by the fridge in the kitchen. And most evenings as I prepared dinner I’d tell him all about my trials and trepidations on Scott and Jason – remembering afterwards that fish only have a two second memory and why was I even talking to a fish anyway?

 Now he was dead – floating at the top of the bowl – his lifeless eyes glaring up at me – it was a sign – even the fish would rather die than sit (or swim) through another hour of me gassing on about them – Picking him up by his tail, I grabbed the empty shoe box from the cupboard. ‘See you on the other side, Nemo.’ Closing up the box, I walked out to the backyard. ‘I’ll give you a proper burial when I get back.’

Part Two.

 ‘What’s wrong with you? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost?’

‘My goldfish died.’

I could tell Poppy was dying to laugh, literally – ‘Sorry to hear that.’ Her tone was shaky and she refused to look in my direction.

‘Go ahead, laugh!’ I said, wriggling in my seat – I hated aeroplane chairs.

She turned around to face me, her eyes were watery and her cheeks bright red – ‘It’s just your face, it’s so serious!’ Her muffled laughter had now turned into bold, loud shrieks.

‘I hate you sometimes, Poppy.’ I said, turning to the window.

‘I’m so sorry! It’s just so funny – didn’t you tell him all your problems or something?’

‘Shush - people can hear you.’

 She gestured to one of the hostesses walking by.’ Do you have a spare tissue? Mine have gone missing. There must be something fishy going on!’

She held her stomach, and wretched – hysterically.

I undid the belt from around my waist and went to get up – ‘Maam, you can’t get up now. We are taking off in a few minutes.’ said the hostess - handing Poppy a tissue.

‘I need to swap seats with someone. I don’t want to sit here any longer.’

The hostess gave Poppy a stern look and this calmed her down a little. ’I’m sorry – I’ll be quiet.’

There was a loud disruption from behind us and this was enough to shut Poppy up so the hostess could finally get back to doing her job – they poked the back of my seat as they sat down; laughing and talking very loudly. It was obvious they were a couple because the girl kept giggling at the guy’s every word. I reached into my handbag and brought out my headphones, turning up the volume full blast.

 Suddenly I felt Poppy nudge me, looking over at her I noticed she was mouthing something to me and pointing with her thumb. I removed one of my earphones – ‘What?’ I whispered.

‘Look who's behind us.’ She whispered back.

Suddenly a handful of blonde curls swung to the side of Poppy’s Chair. ‘Hey Guys! I thought it was you two. Fancy getting seats right in front of us – that’s so awesome!’

‘Hey, Josie!’ Said Poppy - glancing awkwardly at her and then me.

‘Indeed. What a strange coincidence.’ Said a deep familiar voice from behind, stirring something new inside of me - I felt sick.

It was now my turn to be awkward. ‘Yes a strange coincidence. ‘

I had to say something – I couldn’t just sit there quiet – that would be ridiculous and obvious.

‘So are you guys looking forward to the wedding? Thanks so much for the invite by the way, Poppy. What a great way to get the old gang together again!’ her blonde curls flicked from side to side every time she spoke and her blue eyes seemed brighter than ever.

‘I agree what a great idea Poppy!’ I replied, secretly pinching Poppy’s arm.

‘Ooouchh! You’re welcome!’

Josie’s head turned to Scott – who at that moment was just a voice from behind me, he didn’t swing his head around or make himself visible to Poppy and I. ‘What are you laughing at?’ Josie asked him.

There was a short silence and then he eventually replied.

‘Nothing.’