Chappie 13

Chappie 13

Wow im astounded by the amount of people that are reading or read the book, thank you all so much. X

Leo cursed as he navigated the lunchtime traffic, he needed a drink he decided, he had spent a disasterous lunch with Bonnie and her father, he respected Clive Hemmingwell the founder and CEO of the Hemmingwell beef company, and they had become friends over the years, but the friendship was feeling the strain with Bonnie bending her fathers ear about a possible engagement between herself and Leo which had her father talking of mergers and expanding. Leo uttered a curse as truck swerved into his lane without so much as a second glance causing Leo to turn the wheel to avoid a full on collision.

His phone ringing cut of his curses making his immediate greeting a snap of ''WHAT'', his brothers voice wafted down the line ''Leo, its Katie, the bastard got into the house'' Leo's heart stopped, stark naked fear held it in a vice, if he had been in the house, where was

Katie, had he got to her was she okay ''what about Katie is she okay, did he....is she...'' Leo couldnt finish, he couldnt utter the words that would make it so real. ''She's shook up Leo, ive rung the police, but shes in the house and i dont know if hes still there'' The fear that had started subsiding at the confirmation that she was okay but a little shook up slowly reared its ugly head, she was in the house and the damn mad man cold still be in there with her, waiting to catch her while she was vulnerable.

''Im on my way'' that was all he said as he hung up the phone and pushed the speed on his car while moving in and out of the traffic taking the side lane to find the quickest route to Katies house. Leos mind was working overtime, dread laying heavy in his stomach, what would he find when he got there would he see her body drained of life, would that bastard take away her smile, and her innocence that he loved so much.

Whoa, loved, that thought stuttered through his body, sure he had feelings that he couldnt figure out about the quiet librarian, but loved surely not. Never one to kid himself he admitted that somewhere along the way between hurting her and the distance between them he had fallen in love with her. He had fallen in love with the shiny brown hair that he itched to touch, her blue eyes that told him everything she was feeling. Her innocence drove him wild she held nothing back she had no self preservation when she kissed him she kissed him with everything she was and from that first kiss, he couldnt get her off his mind.

His mind began to focus again when he thought back to his brother, Jake had admitted he loved his best friend, Katie had trusted Jake with all her private thoughts, had she trusted him with her body too, he didnt know, he didnt want to know, the thought of her sharing that passion and innocence with his brother had his hands tightening on the wheel of the car. It was ironic, he had finally fallen in love with a woman who was as unobtainable as the stars.

As he neared the house he noticed the police cars parked infront of her house and the ambulance, his gut clenched why was there an ambulance, was she hurt, oh god what had the bastard done, he rested his head on the wheel for a second to gather his bearings and prepare himself for what he was about to see.

The sound of the voices milling around the street met his ears as he walked towards the house, he still couldnt see Katie either in the ambulance or the number of police cars parked in the street, where the hell was she.

He walked into her house and paused, sat at the bottom of the steps looking pale and unstaring was Katie, relief almost brought him to his knees,just seeing she was fine slowly allowed the vice around his heart to release. ''Katie'' he approached her slowly, her eyes still unblinking looking through him, what was wrong with her, why wasnt there a paramedic helping her. Leo gripped her hands in his halting their clenching and unclenching and he tried again ''Katie, honey, look at me'' he began to worry at her unresponsiveness, why wasnt she talking but it was her blank eyes that held no emotion that worried him more, those blue orbs that a man could drown him held no emotion no feeling, at that moment Leo would have given his life to pull her into his arms and hold her, as he was deciding to do just that a commotion at the door had Leo looking over his shoulder, and he saw Jake walk in the room halting any thought of putting his hands around the woman he loved, especially when Leo saw the stark naked fear in his brothers eyes, matching what he himself had been feeling.

Leo stepped back as Jake kneeled at Katies side, instantly pulling her into his arms and whispering comfort in her hair as he rocked her back and forth, Leo felt jealousy swamp him again that his brother held what was his, he gave himself a mental shake, she want his Katie belonged to Jake, his brother loved her in the same way he did, he coudnt do that to Jake, he had to do it he had to step away he would hurt he knew that was obvious, but hopefully he could find the same sort of love again without Katie, he could already feel his heart ache knowing that he couldnt have her, couldnt wrap her in his arms and keep her safe while promising her the moon. Taking one last look at the woman in his brothers arms he walked away from them, and the house without looking back.

Jake looked at his brother , watching the play of emotions on his face, love, regret, fear, and pain all flashed too quick to be seen by anyone who didnt know him. Jake wondered at his brothers turbulent emotions, until realisation slowly dawned did Leo have feelings for Katie, if so why was he in pain and why the hell hadnt he told her. His thoughts were forgotten instantly as he felt Katie responding in his arms, her still body beginning to shiver as the reaction to what she had seen set in, shaking was definately a good thing. A paramedic approached to check her over he had been told when arrived that her vitals wre good but she was in shock, the man gave him a questioning brow and Jake shook his head and mouthed shes fine, the man just nodded his head and left them alone huddled at the bottom of the stairs.

''Katie sweetie, its okay come on, you cant stop here, you can come home to the ranch with me until we get the house sorted, come on sweetie'' Katie heard the words but her mind couldnt react, the fear, shock and anger werent there anymore she was thankfully numb except for the questions the questions were going to drive her crazy she decided, why did he pick her that night why did he come back now she wasnt sure she was ready or wanted to hear the answers. Katie felt Jake helping her stand leading her away from the steps, away her house and guiding her to his truck and gently placing her inside.

Katie absently wondered what had happened to Leo he was there before Jake she was sure of it, his tone was gentle, pleading his voice had reality slowly seeping in and her mind and body slowly responding to his touch but before she could respond to him or speak to him he had gone and Jay was there hugging her. Katie waited until Jay settled in the truck before she asked ''what happened to Leo he was there'' She turned in her seat to face her best friend awaiting his reply as he focused on the road navigating the route towards the ranch, ''Jay im not sure me stopping at the ranch will be a good idea, Leo barely tolerates me, he couldnt wait to get away from me''

Jake inwardly smiled at the softly spoken words the worry slowly easing as the blankness seem to dissapitate from her face and her mind was kicking in and questioning what was happening. ''Everything will be fine, Leo will be fine he wouldnt want you staying in the house anymore than i do now just rest until we get there'' Jake watched from the corner of his eye as she snuggled into the seat her head resting against her arm on the window, her eyes slowly drifting shut due to the exhaustion she must be feeling from the events of today. The quiet of the truck allowed Jakes mind to wonder back to the look on his brothers face as he had looked at Katie and a plan started to form in his mind, if his suspicions were true and Leo did love his best friend then her stopping at the ranch would be the best solution for everyone, Jake would know his best friend would be safe especially with Leo and the ranch hands constantly milling about the place, Leo would have a chance to show Katie the real him and Katie would hopefully discover some emotion for his brother, even though he was sure she felt something already. The thoughts settled well in Jakes mind and he felt himself smiling all the way to the ranch.