Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"howdy Katie potatie"

Katie looked up from the books she was cataloguing and straight into the blue eyes of Pete Green.

At the age of twenty eight Pete was every girls dream guy, he looked like he had stepped straight from the pages of a Miami poster ad.

Blonde hair framed a hair chiseled jaw, but there was something about his personality that she just didn't trust. He had been asking her out a few times since he moved to town, he was a hot shot real estate agent and he had no qualms about flashing his money to to gain an advantage with women, but his eyes were truly set on her.

" earth to Katie" Katie gave a start at the hand waving infront of her eyes and gave herself a mental shake he hadn't actually done anything wrong to her or anyone in town so her caution round him was unfounded.

" hi Pete and to what do I owe the pleasure, you know I'm working right".

Pete looked wound the quiet library, a few older patrons of the town were sat reading and taking advantage of the quiet atmosphere, Pete didn't understand how she could call this work what was there to do and he knew the pay wasn't exactly great either.

" now Katie, you know why I'm here don't be playing shy now will you please come to the movies with me". Pete also could t understand the reluctance with the woman he had tried everything in his book to get her to go out with him, but she still turned him down usually he would've moved on knowing he wasn't wanted but there was something about the quiet blossoming woman infront of him a hidden passion he wanted to unlock in her, but he had to get her to go out with him first, the sign that escaped her lips alerted him to the immediate rejection of his offer and resigned himself to trying harder.

Katie's sigh spoke of frustration and sympathy she really didn't want to hurt his feelings but be was persistent and showing up once or twice weekly trying to coax her out with him. As a real estate tycoon the work keeps him extremely busy but Katie just wished it would keep him busy when he had the urge to seek her out.

" look Pete, your a great guy but the answer is still no, I'm sorry it's not you I just don't think of you in that way, and besides there's prettier girls than me after you're attention", Katie looked up and almost gasped from the flicker of anger in his eyes before the look vanished, leaving her wondering if she'd imagined it especially when he smiled and responded " okay, if you insist but I won't give up on you Katie potatie, you'll say yes eventually" he walked towards the door and stopped " oh and I'll see you around" he added before he walked through the door into the street.

The phone ringing had the patrons in the room lift there heads and murmur thier disapproval at the shrill noise that disturbed the quiet all looking at her as if she was the cause of the disturbance, she rushed to the office her face heating in embarrassment at the scrunching of avid book reader.

" he.. " before she could finish the greeting Jakes deep voice resonated down the line " Katie darling, I need a favour will you do it?" knowing James intense knack of getting his way she didn't doubt this time would be any different not that she was going to make it easy " what is it Jay" she replied using the nickname he only permitted for her. " weeeelllll, were having a party at the ranch for Leo's business friend and I don't want to be surrounded by a room fu of cowboys but as the other half of Double T I have to be there Hopefully with you on my arm, what do you say, say yes please for me".

Katie knew she didn't want to be in close proximity to Leo who unsettled her nerves and risk his temper, the urge to tell Jake that there would be no way in hell she would do it, but was not surprised to find her self saying " okay Jay, is it formal, do I need to dress up", before she could finish Jake interrupted " no not overly formal, just some smart casual, okay I'll see you Saturday I'll pick you at six, okay love you bye"

With the dial tone still ringing in her ear Katie out down the receiver and put her head in her hands and groaned, what has she let herself in for.