thirty

I wake up with a start, my hands flying to my throat as I gasp. I look around, taking in my surroundings.

By the looks of it, I'm in the hospital. Alone. There's an oxygen mask over my nose and mouth that I a-little-too-aggressively rip off. There's a heartbeat monitor over my chest and an IV plugged into my hand.

I swing my legs over the sides of the hospital bed, noticing how pale they are. My hair is past my shoulders and my fingernails are a little too grown out.

Swallowing hard, I look around to find water. I drink it straight from the pitcher even though there's a glass sitting next to it.

"Hello?" I call out, my voice croaky.

I'm surprised when I hear a knock on my door. "Hey, Maya. I came to replace the flowers. They're y—," Andrea cuts herself off after fully walking into the room and seeing me awake. "Have a good sleep, dumbass?" she says, although her face shows a look of shock.

"Peachy keen." I say sarcastically.

"Drop the attitude, you just came to." Andrea rolls her eyes, sitting a dozen red roses in a vase by the bed, dumping out the slightly wilted ones.

"What?" I ask, my eyes widening.

"You don't remember?" Andrea sits in the chair beside the bed, her hand on my knee.

"Obviously fucking not, An." I say harshly.

"You've been in a coma for almost six months, Maya." Andrea says, gripping my hand.

"No. What? How? What happened? Where's Dan? Has he come to see me? Has a—," my mind floods with questions.

"You want to see Dan?" she says with disgust written on her face.

"Uh, yeah?" I say as more of a question than an answer. "Why the hell wouldn't I?" I asked.

"He's the one that put you in the coma? Ring any bells?" Andrea asks.

"Oh, my god. No. I can't remember anything." I say, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Dan hates you, babe. He pushed you down and you hit your head on the pavement. You've been unconscious ever since." she says with soft doe eyes.

"W-What?" I ask, tears streaming down my face.

"Dan always hated you, and you've always hated him. It was always like that." Andrea says.

"No, I love Dan. I'm in love with Dan." I shake my head in disbelief, sobbing now.

"He's a lying, manipulative piece of shit, Maya. You always told me how much you loath him." she says, confused.

"I don't believe you." I say back, wiping my tears from my face.