nine

During the movie, after we all finish our tacos, I fully delve into the film. I tuck my feet under my butt and lean forward a bit, reading each and every English subtitle in a record amount of time. I soak up all the art and thought that went into this movie. This beautiful movie.

Suddenly, I feel something fuzzy wrap around my shoulder. I glance over to Dan, looking at his eyes that ignite like honey and gold in the mediocre darkness of the room, the blue light from the art on screen radiating off his skin.

"You looked cold." he whispers, the other half of the blanket that was around my shoulder was around his.

"Thanks." I say, looking back to the screen. I can feel myself melting into the sofa, my eyes glued to the big screen. I lean in closer to Dan so I can wrap the blanket around myself tighter without taking any away from him.

We sit there for a good bit of the movie until I feel Phil kick me. I look over to see him sound asleep, moving his feet up onto the cushion where I was previously sitting. I turn back to the telly and immerse myself once again.

I feel a piece of brown hair fall into my face, and I'm too cosy, warm, and immersed to push it away, so I just leave it. I feel a hand wrap around my shoulders as Dan pushes the untamed hair away from my eyes. I take the opportunity to rest my head on his shoulder. There we stay for the rest of the movie, me cuddled up to his side and his fingers running through my hair.

Apparently, we all fell asleep during the movie. I didn't know of this until I woke up next to a snoozing Dan the next morning, light shining through the windows. "Shit." I mutter under my breath.

My first thought was, Goddamnit, I didn't get to see the ending to that movie.
And my second thought was, Holy fucking shit I slept over at a guy I met on fucking Tinder's house on his fucking sofa in between him and his best fucking friend.

What the fuck do I even do in this situation?

Before I can think, Dan stirs. I lay back down, trying to realistically imitate what I think I look like when I sleep. I slow my breathing as I hear Dan laugh a little bit. It must've worked, because I feel him lightly run a hand through my hair, his thumb resting on my jaw.

"I know you're awake, Maya. You're not fooling anyone." he laughs and my eyes shoot open.

"Shit, I'm found out." I whisper. "Abort mission."

"I've captured the enemy." Dan says, wrapping his arms around my waist, tickling me.

"No, no, no!" I scream, accidentally waking Phil up. He just gets up, scoffs, and goes to his room.

"Say hello to the Scream Extractor!" Dan laughs, making a Monsters Inc. reference.

"What the fuck?" I yell back.

"Sorry," Dan stops tickling me, leaving my breathing heavy, but I cut him off.

"Is that what you call your dick to hype it up or something?" I ask and Dan's mouth drops open.

"How'd you know?" he asks jokingly.

"I'm intuitive." I say and he leans in a bit.

"Yeah." he nods, his brown eyes flicking down to my lips, then back up to my eyes.

Our lips are only millimetres apart when I pull back frantically, standing up. "Oh, my God." I say, my heart beating out of my chest, "What am I doing?" I ask myself.

"I'm so sorry." Dan sits, rubbing his eyes with his palms.

"I slept over at your house after something that can hardly even be called a date, and then I'm trying to kiss you?" I ask, running a hand through my messy hair. "I'm the one that should be sorry." I laugh bitterly at myself, "This isn't anything I'd do on a regular basis."

"Well, I hope not." Dan looks up, suddenly calm.

"I-I don't even know what to say." I stutter, looking down at my socked feet.

"Will you go out with me?" Dan asks, grabbing my hand that was resting off my chest and folding it up in his.

"What?" I ask, all the worry dropping from my expression.

"Go out on a proper date." he repeats, adding, "With me."

"Y-Yes, of course. Holy shit, Dan. You scared the hell out of me! I thought the feelings were unreciprocated and then I started panicking because maybe you were just about to kiss back because you felt bad for me and--," Dan cuts off my ramble, pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"I can assure you that the feelings are definitely, one hundred and ten percent, reciprocated." he smiles as a dark red blush arises on my cheeks.

"Good." I smile, at a loss for words.

"Yeah." he agrees, matching my smile.

"I should go." I decide.

"Okay." Dan nods and I grab my bag off the back of the chair. I go to the front door, Dan following close behind me as I slip on my trainers and he opens the door for me.

"Thank you for having me. Tell Phil I said thank you for the tacos." I say, stepping out the door.

Dan nods, "I will when he wakes up." he laughs. "Thank you for coming." he waves a two fingered salute, and I wave back, swinging my bag straps over my shoulders as I turn around. "Maya?" he asks and I turn around to face him.

"Hm?" I tilt my head.

He steps out into the corridor, wrapping his arms around my waist. I wrap mine around his shoulders. "Seriously. Thank you for coming." he says into my neck that he buried his face in.

"No, thank you." I say and he lets me go, smiling as I turn around again and step into the lift, pressing the ground level button.