Chapter 26 - Martin and Lily

Start from the beginning

"Ohhh, you young ones today . . . you could always express yourselves in so many and lots of different ways, but you just can't tell if it's the real thing or not . . .  even if sticks out its mouth at you!"

"The very reason why I'm here, Gran.  I knew she's the one.  We've recognized it thus.  But . . . she was scared. And, honestly? I'm kind of aprehensive, too because . . . what we both felt was so strong. We're both adults, we thought it best that we handle this . . . attraction objectively.  So . . . we decided to take it slow." I couldn't help my smile remembering Andrea.

"Yeah, we talked about that.  So, we agreed Gran . . . to go slow! At least for now . . . we know we wanted to be with  each other . . . very much, that we didn't want to just let things go hanging for us.  We didn't want just a friendship.  We wanted more than just that . . . that we agreed we'd date exclusively!"

"Hmmm, what's all that supposed to mean? And whatever that means, I like it and I do not like it . . . because in my own book . . . the first time I saw your grandfather, I told myself I like him. I told him I like him. And after a few days of courtship, before we knew it . . . we were planning our wedding date. There was no turning back for us! I knew I loved him the first time we met!"

The first Sterling Hotel was a dream come true for Grandpere.  The original building was an old pub.  Adjacent to it was a small hostel where he worked as a janitor.

The young Martin was known for his industry and warmth.  He was well-liked by everybody, his co-workers, the staff and old Bill, the owner.

But, one day old Bill got sick.  He asked for the young janitor up his room.

"Martin, I know I don't have much time left. I have no family nor relatives. I want you to take care of the business. I have seen how you work, how you take care of the things around here."

"And, you are a good lad, Martin.  With your industry, I can see you will go far in life. I'm leaving the hostel to you. See to it . . . it will make a name one day."

Martin was left with the hostel when old Bill died shortly.

With his life-time savings, he acquired the old pub next-door and started Sterling Hotel.

It was in this hotel that he met the beautiful and petite Lily.

The young lady from France was accepted as a teacher in Literature at a nearby university.

Lily stayed at Sterling Hotel as it was a block away from school, planning to scout around for a cheaper lodging during her spare time.

When the young owner learned of Lily's desire to find a cheaper boarding house, he offered her a much cheaper price just keep her around.

It was at Sterling Hotel that the love story of Martin and Lily started and blossomed.

"She's different . . . Grandmere, she's my princess!"

I told Grandmere everything, from the moment I saw Andrea, except of course for our moments. It would be unfair to Andrea that I go divulging them to people, even if it's only Grandmere.  It was our own thing, between us.

"Is it possible that you'd strongly feel connected to a person the first time you see her, Gran? She'd admitted to me how she felt, how she felt the strong connection between us!"

"It happened to us! There was no denying our attraction. Ours was a love at first sight, Ashton!"

We lapsed into a comfortable silence.

"I am aware Gran, that I'd been so unhappy for a long time.  I found solace in my work.  I haven't realized that SIGoH only gave me a space to hide myself from all my pain and all my hurt.  I was an empty shell for a decade, Gran." I confessed.

"It's only now that I found myself again.  If you must know it, Gran."

"Ashton, you should realize that human nature has its ways of dealing with things . . .  circumstances.  Perhaps it has allowed SIGoH to give you enough time and the diversion to pull yourself together, to heal.  And . . . SIGoH gave you Andrea Nicole.  Simply put, it was cupid getting its work done.

I laughed at how Grandmere has put things lightly and as easily as that. This time also, I was made me see my own folly, my ego and my bullheaded pride . . . at its worst.

===============================================

Hey, guys! Here's another update.  Please enjoy it!

Please know also that I have entered this story in the wattys2018.  A tag popped along with mine, 'enter this in wattys2018'.  Or, some words to that effect. And, mind you, it wasn't me who put or wrote the tag. I searched how to do it . . . and added the tag 'wattys2018'.

I was surprised! I had no idea what that was! So I searched further what the wattys was all about.

I'm just a beginner. Oh, I've read stories with 'wattys' something on the covers.  But I just couldn't see mine to be included or would qualify . . . or anything!

'The One' is my first book, ever!  I'm just getting into my writing, with the hope of making people who are into reading enjoy their lives, like I do expecially when I get hold or come across a good book.

I might not make it in the wattys with this, I can't see it that far.  It's fine with me, I'm just crossing my fingers. After all, I wasn't aiming for anything other than having people read my work, in the first place.

And it's best I maintain that attitude for it is not in the award but the writing that gives real joy.  An award is a kudos for a job well done.

But I aim to learn, I aim to improve. I aim to give my best into my writing as my heart is in it. Well, I know I have it in me . . . I believe that . . .  when you have it, you have it. When you don't, then you really don't. I'm not that good, though. Yeah! Yet, I ain't that bad either!

Anyways, there's always a first time!!!!! Hahaha.  Right now,  I'm enjoying what I've done so far and my time here at wattpad. (and I'm just excited . . . for the wattys, it's getting to me!)

And guys  . . . please  support 'The One' by voting and leaving your comments. It would mean much, much to me!

And for you who have read, voted and added my story in your reading lists . . . my heartfelt thanks.  You have made me feel so good and so happy!!!

marly/04june2018/6:06pm