PROLOGUE

"You sure about this, honey?" Mom asks me for nth time. If I didn't know better, she's against of me leaving.

I'm moving back to Chicago, the place that brought tears to my eyes and enough pain to last me a for a lifetime. It's my choice no matter how painful it is. I'm doing this for my Dad who met an accident a week ago. He doesn't have anyone to attend to him so I volunteered.

"Dad needs me," I remind her and she nearly pouts. She runs her fingers through my blonde hair as she lets out a deep sigh.

My parents are not in good terms that's why if possible, Mom would've locked me up just so my Dad won't see me anymore. She used to do that but things changed when I got a mind of my own. I'd text my Dad once in a while, every Christmas and New Year and on his birthday. That's how far we've talked then nothing more.

"You better behave there, okay? I'll get in touch with Luke everyday."

I doubt it. Luke's my Dad's nephew and since my parents are not in good terms, the whole clan despises her and vice versa. So the getting in touch part really is just a part of her motherly speech. The behaving part is her way of reminding I'm a trouble magnet.

I smirk at my Mom, telling her I don't believe her for a second and she starts glaring at me. "Don't smirk at me like that, Harley!" she exclaims, lightly slapping my arm.

I'm gonna miss this control freak so much. She may be a bitch to my father's relative, which she really is, but she's the best mom. Not all families are perfect, aren't they?

Saying goodbye to Mom is hard but saying goodbye to Colorado is harder. This place served as my safe haven when I needed saving. Now I'm leaving it for the place who put me in so much pain.

The flight was excruciating. As I get closer and closer to Chicago, my anxiety levels is spiking. I keep on wondering and picturing how my dad looks as he lays there on the hospital bed and what will the people of our town will say about my return?

I shrug the stupid questions away as I see my cousin jogs towards me. At first, he was all smiles as he approaches me and when he got near, he looked at me the way everyone does, like I'm a broken girl that needs fixing. It's more of pity than concern, really.

I'm used to people referring me as blank, impassive and detached. Some even called me a coldhearted bitch because of the way my eyes look. I'm okay with anything as long as they don't bother me, dig my secrets and bring up my past. I am who I am now and Chicago did that.

"Hey, Harley," Luke engulfs me into a brotherly hug. He smells of body wash and cigarettes.

"Hi, Luke," I reply and he stiffs.

Again, it's a natural response from people when hearing my voice. They're getting afraid or nervous or shock with how cold and empty I sound. I don't intend to sound like that. Hell, I'm not even aware I sound like that!

             "I've missed you. It's been so long," he pulls away from our hug and scans me from head to toe. I felt a bit uncomfortable. I've grown a lot since I last saw him and well, I hate compliments.