Epilogue: Tomorrow

A Month Later

“Say kimchi!”

“How cheesy,” Yoongi mutters but poses anyway as Namjoon’s sister clicks the picture. The sunlight illuminates their glittering black robes, adding a golden tint to the material. All around them, the campus is abuzz with activity, families and friends of the graduating seniors surrounding the groups as laughter resounds within the field. A solemnity still lingers, however; Park Hyung Sik had been a favourite among many. But the atmosphere is still a complete contrast to the gloom which had enveloped the university over the past few months.

Yoongi, Miran and the rest of their group stand stark in the middle of the football pitch which is currently swarming with students and parents, cameras and selfie sticks visible as far as the eye can see. Their own families are here, clicking away tirelessly while Jung tries to assemble all of them for another group picture. And Yoongi’s gums hurt from smiling too widely for the past hour.

In spite of everything that had happened a month ago, their graduation proceeds without a hitch. Park Hyung Sik’s arrest had come as a shock to the student body and administration alike, and a thorough investigation had been launched into the death of Lee Joonhyung. Seokjin, nursing a concussion, had drily stated that the professor would undoubtedly know how to get away with murder. Miran and Yoongi had both been summoned to give their statements, and judging by all the evidence that had been collated, coupled with the detainment of Choi Hongbin and the contents of Joonhyung’s diary, the full picture had emerged.

Go Jieun, despite her protests, had been responsible for handing over the extra heroin to Joonhyung which eventually resulted in his death. Though it had been established that she herself might not have realized what she was doing at the time- Hongbin confessed that Jieun had been inebriated that night- it still did not excuse her actions. But since the student was no longer alive, the charges against her were dropped, even though Yoongi and Miran decided to claim partial responsibility.

For this, Jung has assigned the couple, along with Jimin, to probationary community service. The dancer has also provided a written statement regarding his actions the night Choi Ara was murdered, admitting to what he has done. Jung and his colleagues arrive at the conclusion that since he wasn’t the one who killed her, arresting Jimin is not an option. But the dancer has opted to repent anyway. His conversation with his psychiatrist a month ago where he had stated his fears about how he might be involved in the murders somehow has been proven untrue, but Jimin has decided to admit himself into a rehab centre after graduation regardless.

It’s time I accept the reality, he had told Miran.

The backlash the university and the police force had received had been severe, but Kim Jaesung and Yuna had fended them off as best as they could. The directors had publicly apologized, assuring the students and their families that measures were being taken to ensure no such tragedy would befall them again.

Security is now instructed to carefully monitor the grounds and entrances for any sign of suspicious activity, and active drug addiction recovery and mental health camps have been set up around the campus with several trained psychologists and therapists counselling those who need it every week.

Miran and Taehyung no longer shy away from acknowledging their identities as the children of the directors of Seoul National, and the former’s involvement in Joonhyung’s case has effectively driven away people who once claimed to be her friends. Miran wouldn’t have it any other way. 

And now, they are all here, on the day of their graduation, though the feeling is bittersweet. Yoongi looks around, watches as Jungkook tries to flirt with Namjoon’s sister, while he, much to Yoongi’s amusement and the chagrin of the other students, is kissing Inha for everyone to see, though the pair don’t seem to care. To his right, Taehyung and Hoseok are clicking selfies, their expressions weird and exaggerated. A stranger might deem them two friends enjoying their graduation to the fullest, but Yoongi and the others know better: Hoseok and Taehyung have finally decided to give their relationship a real chance.