24

“So you’re telling me,” Jung begins in a tone of utter and absolute disbelief, his eyes roving over the small group huddled before him, “that all of you knew about this from the very start, and yet, neglected to tell us anything?”

“Please don’t arrest us for obstruction of justice,” Hoseok whispers, but his sound carries over the empty hospital cafeteria, loud enough for his father to hear. He fixes his son with a bland stare, and Hoseok visibly pales. 

It is nearing dusk, and the multi-coloured whorls of light bounce across the horizon, splashes of violet and orange splaying the city in hues of gold. The cafeteria is located on the seventh floor of the hospital, one of the string of spaces spread out over the different levels of the building to provide a boost of normalcy to patients, and visiting families and friends alike.

Windows stretch from the floor to the ceiling on one side, and the city of Seoul sprawls behind the detective’s back, making his silhouette shimmer and shift in the retracting lights. Upon his request, the floor has been cleared so he can talk to Miran and her friends in peace, but Dr. Choi staunchly refused to let her out of her room, claiming she wasn’t strong enough to walk yet. So Jung makes do with the sullen band sitting around him for the present before he has a chance to meet her.

Yoongi watches as the sun disappears between the pinnacles of towering skyscrapers, his attention only refocusing on Jung when the detective pointedly clears his throat. “From the start. Again.” He listens with growing incredulity as Namjoon narrates his theory, the role Yoongi, Miran and Joonhyung play in this little drama, and why the killer is targeting these particular individuals. The detective’s skepticism spikes with every word which leaves the student’s mouth, and Hoseok winces at the terse expression limning his father’s face. In that moment, Hoseok swears to himself that he is never going to touch drugs ever again. And he is not the only one who makes that resolution.

Once Namjoon is done, the detective looks around for a sign of confirmation which is accorded to him by the solemn nodding of heads, Yoongi’s included. A brief silence ensues, a silence which feels nothing short of an eternity as Jung pinches the bridge of his nose. Whatever Namjoon has said definitely explains a lot, also tying in with the information Jisoo managed to extricate from a disgruntled Hongbin just the other night.

“Alright, then. I still can’t believe you kids would do something this reckless but I can’t say I’m surprised,” he states slowly, taking in each and every face with a stern gaze. Amusement flickers across his features when he watches the usually dauntless Jungkook shudder. “And you better hope to god none of you are arrested for obstruction of justice. Miran could’ve died.”

Yoongi leans forward, a serious glint in his eyes. “Detective, we didn’t withhold any of this deliberately. We were going to come to you the minute we found something-”

“Don’t expect me to take your word for it, Min,” Jung says quietly, effectively shutting him up. “And when was this something going to fall into your palms? When another body had resurfaced?”