7

Taehyung suggests they all go Halloween shopping

As Miran leans against the hood of her car waiting for him, she chuckles drily. Only her brother can be blasé enough to propose a shopping spree when people seem to be dying all over the place. Detective Jung is still conducting a thorough investigation and she sincerely hopes that the zealous officer will unearth enough evidence to apprehend the killer.

Adjusting her cotton tunic, Miran tilts her head upwards to scan the sky. It is a startling blue, white clouds floating above the chaotic streets. She sighs contentedly when a breeze ruffles her golden hair; it is cooler today as compared to the previous weeks.

But the momentary relief is instantly replaced by anxiety when she remembers that Taehyung and she are supposed to meet Seokjin and their parents for dinner tonight. Their Chuseok break is just around the corner, and her mother insists on pretending like they are a happy family whenever the holiday approaches.

Checking her phone for the millionth time, she wonders what is taking Taehyung, Hoseok and Jimin so long. At the thought of her former boyfriend, an uneasy feeling slithers into her bones. Jimin has been nothing but cordial towards her since she broke it to him that she cannot consider a romantic relationship. And Miran wonders if his indifference is a façade.

When Namjoon calls her for the tenth time in fifteen minutes, she finally slinks through the gates of the university to lug her brother and her friends out herself. Inha and Jungkook are already waiting for them at the antique costume shop with Namjoon, and Miran conjures a few choice words she is hoping to fling at her brother for his tardiness.

Most boys blink in surprise as she wades through the hidden gap in the fringes of the dormitory to reach its doors, a slit the guards still haven’t noticed exists. The male students swerve out of her path in shock as she stomps in through the entrance, and she hears a few whistles being emitted in her wake. Jackson Wang, a fourth year Music major, is the source, his tanned chest on full display as he exits the gym embedded into the building. Miran raises her fingers in a lewd gesture which only makes him snicker.

It is strictly prohibited for female students to enter the Boys’ dormitory and vice versa, but Miran doesn’t remember that rule ever being followed in the four years that she has studied at the university. The students always find a loophole to work around, effortlessly tricking the languid guards who couldn’t care less. But considering the recent events, she is surprised no measures have been taken to reinforce the security. It is no wonder that the killer hasn’t been caught.

Leaping over two stairs at a time, Miran reaches the floor which houses the rooms Hoseok and Taehyung have been allotted. She is about to knock on the former’s door when she remembers who his roommate is. Not relishing the prospect of running into Yoongi, she strides further down the hallway to her brother’s room, which he shares with Namjoon, and raps on the door. There is no answer, and it budges easily when she pushes against it. Apparently, boys do not feel the need to lock their doors.