26

Much to their surprise and relief, the weeks following Miran’s discharge from the hospital are more or less uneventful

Much to their surprise and relief, the weeks following Miran’s discharge from the hospital are more or less uneventful. There are no further shenanigans on the part of the killer, and following a similar tangent, Jung’s investigation, too, has hit a dead end. Jimin’s confession hadn’t helped matters much, and had only addled the brain of the detective further as he struggled to make sense of the unexpected revelation.

“So wait, they aren’t going to arrest you?” Jungkook asks quietly as he leans forward on the table. They are all, with the exception of Seokjin who is out on yet another date with the pretty receptionist, seated in the cafeteria, lounging about in the pristine space after lunch hours. Most seats are vacant owing to the upcoming finals which have all the students cramming as much material as they can in every second they can get.

Jimin shakes his head. “Detective Jung says that since there isn’t any evidence that I hurt Ara, he can’t hold me. And like Namjoon said, the fact that I suffer from an identity disorder disrupts my credibility as a witness. So until they can find concrete proof, I’m not to leave town,” he states, recollecting the empathy with which both Jung and the attractive investigator, Kim Jisoo, had heard his story, both of them agreeing that the chances of Jimin being the killer are next to nil. Their reasoning for this is the fact that the perpetrator is ingenious enough to pull off the other crimes without a hitch, and while Ara’s death is still obscured by doubt, there is no way Jimin could have committed the other murders without somebody noticing something off.

I’d say the fucker took advantage of what you were driven to do in a moment of fear, Jisoo had pointed out. And Jimin wanted nothing more than to believe him.

“Needless to say, once we graduate, I’m going to spend the rest of the summer in rehab, and enlist in community service which involves me addressing a younger crowd of people who may be going through the same thing I am and may be scared to acknowledge it,” he continues thoughtfully, and Taehyung pats him on the shoulder.

“That’s wonderful, Jimin,” Miran says, reaching out to squeeze his hand. “For what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing.”

Jimin shrugs. “It’s the least I can do after…and even if Jung decides to arrest me, I will gladly accept the charges.”

“And what about the other…person inside you?” Yoongi asks in a low voice, studying him intently. All at once, the others still at his words, their eyes flitting between him and Jimin. “Won’t they object to you giving yourself up like this?”

The dancer bites his lip, his gaze trained on the table. But when he finally looks up, Yoongi is taken aback by the conviction limning his face. “For a long time, this other persona, my alter ego, has taken the brunt of every bad thing that has ever happened to me. And while I am grateful, I also know that we can’t go on like this.” His eyes travel over all of them, and a knot in his chest uncoils when Hoseok smiles at him reassuringly. “I’d really like to get better. And I hope the other half of me agrees.”