11

“Hah! You thought!” Miran crouches behind the gilded column, brandishing the toy gun at Yoongi again as she pelts him with pellets

“Hah! You thought!” Miran crouches behind the gilded column, brandishing the toy gun at Yoongi again as she pelts him with pellets. He is surprisingly active in fending off the tiny objects, concealing himself behind a Captain America shield which he pulls out from the rack above his head.

Miran has brought him to the antique costume shop despite his protests. She tells him that he should at least try out some outfits, and promises him that if he cannot find one he likes, she’ll give up on trying to persuade him to attend the Halloween fundraiser.

But before Yoongi can even begin to consider his options, Miran’s inner childishness unleashes itself upon him and he is forced to play along with her mock rendition of a survival game. They are alone in this section of the shop, and the racks are overflowing with colourful wigs and capes, long cloaks and dresses cascading from the hangers embedded beside them. A stand of flamboyant shoes is pushed against the grimy walls festooned with horrific caricatures, and on the far side of the space is a stack of fake weapons and other apparel.

Heaving with breathlessness, Yoongi eventually pries the gun out of Miran’s hands, his sudden tickles taking her by complete shock. “I thought we were here to pick costumes,” he points out drily and she shoots him a sheepish grin. There is a bright gleam in her eyes and the student is awed by how enthusiastic Miran really is.

“Sorry for getting a little carried away. I figured if I tired you out, you wouldn’t have the strength to refuse my invitation,” she confesses cheekily and Yoongi rolls his eyes. But he is struck by how well Miran has read him; indeed, he has half a mind to just give in and agree to attend so his exhausted body can have some respite.

They begin scrutinizing the array of outfits on display around them, Yoongi trying on the costume for Clyde. His fingers rove over the material of the dress beside it and he pulls it out, handing it to Miran. Without a word, she drapes a cloak over her shoulders, an auburn wig now pulled over her hair.

“We could go as Bonnie and Clyde, you know,” Yoongi says, a tinge of hope limning his voice. He knows he shouldn’t expect much, but lately, reason seems lost to him when it comes to Miran. She tries to smile to soften the blow but he guesses her reply before it leaves her lips. “Or you’re already pairing up with someone else.”

Miran fixes him with an apologetic look. “Jimin and I decided to couple cosplay as Bonnie and Clyde just a few days ago. I’m sorry, Yoongi.” The words are honest, truthful, and Yoongi shakes off the disappointment beginning to cloud his vision. It is not that surprising, really, but it still stings to have even a tiny verisimilitude of hope squashed.

He shakes his head, smiling a little. “Don’t worry about it.” Moving further down the rack, his fingers trail over a striped red and white t-shirt and ripped denim overalls. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but won’t it be incredibly awkward for you to pair up with your ex-boyfriend?” he asks, angling his head slightly to look at Miran. She purses her lips, shrugging into a Survey Corps jacket and studying herself in the mirror placed beside the column.