27

“Well, call her, then!” Seokjin yells, his voice muted by the loud music permeating the space despite Namjoon having pulled the door shut

“Well, call her, then!” Seokjin yells, his voice muted by the loud music permeating the space despite Namjoon having pulled the door shut. He, Miran and the others are crammed into Hoseok’s kitchen while beyond it, the party continues in full swing.

When Yoongi tells them that Jieun hasn’t shown up, the panic in their midst reaches its zenith. None of them have seen her entering Hoseok’s house, and this only makes them fear that the killer may have already gotten to her. Miran supposes it makes sense why she couldn’t spot anyone remotely familiar to her assailant in the pulsating space that is currently Hoseok’s living room.

She whips out her phone to call Jieun nevertheless, but her endeavour goes straight to voicemail. “It’s no use. She isn’t answering.”

“How about we contact her family? Ask them if she’s at home or something,” Taehyung suggests, fidgeting with his fingers as his lips pull taut. He laments the fact that he hadn’t been convincing enough to persuade Jieun to attend the party. But Hoseok pats his shoulder, seemingly having read his thoughts and slightly shakes his head in reassurance.

A few quick inquiries later, Miran manages to contact Jieun’s mother. Despite the late hour, the woman kindly explains that her daughter is at the university, and asks if something is wrong. Their mouths fall open at this, and Miran doesn’t have the heart to tell the woman that her daughter may be in the clutches of a psychopathic murderer as they speak. A sinking feeling pools at the pit of Yoongi’s stomach.

“But this doesn’t make sense! I know for a fact that Jieun wouldn’t leave her house unless it was absolutely necessary. Why would she not come here and go to the university instead?” Miran demands, her palm resting against her forehead.

Namjoon’s eyes gleam thoughtfully. “Somebody might’ve lured her out. Or she may have concluded that the killer might be here and decided to steer clear of the penthouse.”

“In any case, if the university is where she is, then we need to go there and find her.” Yoongi rubs Miran’s back, making soothing motions with his thumb which don’t do much to assuage her anxiety. What if Jieun has already fallen prey to the killer? What if she is already-

“Preferably before the killer does,” Jungkook points out smartly, only earning a glare from Inha as she sarcastically thanks him for stating the obvious.

Miran and Yoongi begin to move out when Jimin stops them. His lips stretch into a thin line, his grip firm on Yoongi’s forearm “Let me come with you. The more people go, the faster we’ll be able to find her.”

“I agree with Jimin,” Seokjin says, grabbing the edges of the table. He swipes a knife off the countertop and shoves it into his coat pocket. “Which is why I’m going too, armed and ready.” Miran doesn’t bother telling him that a knife may not exactly be the best choice of weapon. Turning to Namjoon, the counsellor shoots him a meaningful glance. “Why don’t you hold down the fort here? The killer may still have snuck in somehow.”