Chapter 1

Mia tucked in the last tulip and held the bunch firmly to secure it with a tape.She placed it on the sheet and was just done with the bouquet when the front door dinged.Tying a neat bow with the golden colored ribbon,she picked the bouquet and walked out to see her regular buyer standing.

Jake had been a customer since her mother's time running their flower shop.Now that the shop is no longer their family's property,Mia still works there as an employee.

She walked over to place the bouquet down and smiled at him, leaning her hands on the cash counter.

"Running home early today,are we? Lemme guess it's Sophia's birthday?"She asked turning around to get pink and white Ranunculus,which were Jake's little daughter's currently favorite.

"No."Jake smiled ruefully, walking few more steps inside as Mia halted her steps."It's Maria." He paused and spoke again."Last night I got late from work and she apparently tried to help Sophia with dinner and instead spilled the porridge-"

"-Oh."

"-On Sophie."He sighed as Mia stood tight lipped."I don't like seeing her like this.She was weeping silently when I got home,trying to hide it from me.She couldn't help change Sophie's clothes and do other chores or stuff and thinks she's useless and had become a burden which is not true."

The look on Jake's face was heartbreaking and Mia couldn't come to imagine what Maria's been through.She remembered how Maria cried when she was told she had a miscarriage because of a car accident she got into.Though,she luckily lived,it left Maria with a cracked left leg ,right hand and a broken left hand.Few months after the incident,and Maria's still recovering.

Mia moved to place a comforting hand on Jake's arm.

"I know nothing of this is okay Jake,and that you are trying your very best but try not get distressed seeing Maria upset.Try getting her involved in work instead of making her sit in a corner because that's what is adding to her miseries."

Jake smiled at her as any older brother would but in reality he wasn't.He was the neighbor in the times Mia and Mila lived with their parents.

"Thanks Mia.You really have matured.Now can you make a quick,nice bouquet for my lovely wife?I have actually shopped groceries on my way to make a special dinner for my darling tonight."He cheekily grinned.

Mia laughed nodding and began to pick different flowers as Maria likes a concoction of colors.Her heart always warms when she sees Jake's eyes when he talks about his wife. Jake took a seat too and noticed that the the helper was absent today.He took it lightly as it happens sometimes and then they talked randomly about stuff,Sophie and Mila, Mia's sister.Mia was itching to ask Jake about his brother,Ben but she didnt dare do that.Not after she made an embarased crap out of herself few months ago.Ben wasnt in the country anywho,taking off the first flight he could when he was offered scholarship.By the time Mia was done,she asked Jake if he wants a flower for Sophie as well,he laughed and spoke.

"No Sophie will be picked by her aunt after school today.It'll only be the both us."

Mia smiled mischievously and handed him the bouquet as he paid her and placed a light kiss on the side of her forehead.He was the older brother she and her sister always craved.

"Tell Mila I said hi and take care."

"Sure.And Jake?"She called out.

"Yes?"He turned to look at her.

"Don't forget to add some nutella on that cream cheese."She winked and he guwaffed,shaking his head as he strolled out.

Later Mia locked the shop and grabbed the bus to home.The first thing she saw was Mila sprawled on the couch,a book resting on her stomach upside down with frowned expressions she played with a lock of her,her lips thinned.Her eyes immediately landed on Mia as she heard the noise.